Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

my Maytag washing machine m# XXXXX fills with water ,

my Maytag washing machine m# XXXXX fills with water , then shuts off. It's something in the "mother board" .. I know this because it happened before and I switched it with a spare one I had from the door replacement/recall. I just don't know which component it is. The one in the far upper left corner labeled A1 looks like a possible "suspect".
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Is the machine agitating while it is filling with water?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, it just fill with water, then shuts off. the door lock doesn't happen, either, before it shuts off.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
If you look at the circuit board, there is a resistor called R11 can you see if it is burned?

graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

R11 shows no signs for being burned up on either board.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
WHat is the serial number of your machine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

18130506sy

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
If you put the machine on spin and try to start it, does it stay on for only like 6 to 10 seconds and shut off?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I turned the dial to spin, it needed to finish filling with water -- I guess to complete rinse 3, then it started to pump the water out, then it stopped after several seconds. I started it again it tried to go into the spin cycle. the door even locked, but again, after several seconds, it stopped.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
You have a locked rotor problem, this is what it is called, your Motor controller has gone out on the unit, I have replaced no less 100 of these on the Neptune machine, the repair kit consists of a new style motor and motor controller, comes with installation instructions also, you can click on the blue link below to order it.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

if this problem is solved by the part you describe, then why was it solved when I had the same problem and solved it with switching the mother boards ?

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
I don't know what your original problem was, however what it is doing when you put it on the spin cycle is a problem with the motor and motor controller, I worked for Maytag for many years and have worked on no less than 500 of these Neptune washers when I was employed by them, when I worked for Maytag we worked on no other brands so we were trained to the MAX on the repair of them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it was the same problem. I wrote myself a note when I put that board in the box (which describes the same symptoms). I had the extra board because of the door ventilation issue. When I switched the boards, the problem ceased.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Okay then replace the board if you are sure that was the problem. Then let me know that it worked when you replace it. I will then apologize for my mistake then, I remember the recall for the door on these models, if you want to replace the board you can order it below.

Click here for the control board

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was hoping that your expertise could point me to the component on the board that is faulty. You did suspect a simple resistor, which led me to believe that perhaps you would know of another problematic component, other that replacing the whole board.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Your problem is on the board that is near the motor, it is covered in plastic, I am willing to bet if you remove that board you will see that there is burned parts on it and most likely the fuse blown also, As for component repair, there are no techs that do this, as the MFG does not release this info, complete assemblies are replaced...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK -- since you are the expert and I am not, and you are most likely getting annoyed with me, AND you are willing to bet, I will pay for this and give you an excellent rating IF you will refund me IF you are wrong. I am trusting you, and am asking that you be true to your word. I, of course, will have to wait for parts, etc. so it will take at least a week or so for results.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Pam,
I am sorry if it sounds like I am getting upset with you, not my intention, Remember this site has a 100% refund guarantee if you are not satisified within 90 days, no questions asked. I think the problem is that I have worked on so many of these machines they are almost second nature to me, I even have all the part numbers sitting inside my head from doing so many of them, When I got to a home to fix them, I only had 15 minutes to diagnosis the problem and another 45 minutes to fix whatever it was causing the problem, so I know the symptoms as it was my paycheck that suffered in the long run, Reason I asked about the burned resistor of R11 is if they changed the board originally and did not replace the wax motor at the same time it could cause this problem, If the resistor was not burned we replaced the motor and motor controller and 98% of the time that fixed it...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

LOL Chas, I would be getting annoyed with me if I were you -- so no worries there. I just want your diagnosis to make sense, and it wasn't because of how the board exchange in 2009 worked for me. Yes the wax motor was replaced -- if I recall correctly, that was the first problem I encountered with this machine. I purchased it in 1998, and have replaced the tub, then just the bearings last summer, plus other things. I do all the repairs on it. However, I'm not as familiar with it as you. Have a GREAT weekend!

God bless!

Pam

PS I'll get back to you with the results.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
If you did the bearing replacement you have my respect, I never replaced the bearings in them, I only replaced the tubs them self. I know several people that replaced the bearings alone, but they has a hard time getting the seal kits back then and would contact me to see if I had any, back then you could not get the seal kit without the tub, but I had a connection at Maytag and was bale to scounge up about 20 of them, now there is a part number to buy the seal kit...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This guy was a big help with the bearing replacement:

http://www.mlittle.com/appliance/neptune/bearings/bearings.php

I wasn't willing to fork out $400 for a new tub, and was very happy to find the kit.

Thank you for all your help!

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
I know id I did one today I would use the kit to do the bearing replacement, alot cheaper and actually better, as the new bearings that people are using are sealed instead.
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I just finished installing the new motor and control board. I set the machine on 3rd rinse to get out any residual water from last week (I haven't had a chance to do the repair until today). So far -- so good, except for a squeaking sound possible coming from the belt. The "mother board" that is in it right now is the one I had in the box, which I thought to be defective. I still may be -- I haven't run a complete cycle yet. It's in the spin cycle right now, and I can't hear any squeaking -- maybe it needs tightening -- it was doing that when tumbling back and forth.Any thoughts on that? I've never changed the belt, and it still looks good as far as I can tell.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
I have not had to change many belts on these models, however some grease may be on the belt itself from something else, try cleaning the belt with some rubbing alcohol, the belt should be tightened until the bolt bottoms out at full tension..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Oh my goodness, my machine is SO much quieter! The "crow" was sweet and delicious! LOL So worth eating! Thank you Chas!!

The squeaking stopped. I'll have to open the back up again and check the tension on the belt -- it seemed OK, but I did follow the instructions and push the washer of the motor bolt up against the limiter, so I didn't tighten it at all. Also, I found the parts $30 cheaper at "Point & Click Appliance Repair". However, I must say, it was a step of faith (in God and you), because they did not have the same return policy as Repair Clinic.

Thanks again!

Pam : )

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Pam,
I am so glad I was able to help, also you faith in my diagnosis, did you look at the old control board for the motor and see if there was anything burnt on it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

As far as I can tell -- everything looks clean except for the fuse that was blown -- just like you said. That was the clincher because of what you told me last week, but because I don't know the machine like you do, and the fact that once I plugged anything in on the parts -- they were officially mine with no possibility of returning them. That's where having faith in you came into play, and thankfully, you came thru shining!! I am a thrifty sort of gal, and 30 bucks is 30 bucks.

The thing that surprised me was the difference in the sound of the machine. Even when it was new, the motor had a sort of "jet engine" sound in the spin cycle. I actually opened up the top control panel again, to watch the pulley during the spin cycle, before I let my son put clothes in. I wanted to make sure it was spinning fast enough, because the only sound I could hear was the pump. BTW -- he was very impressed with the quietness too!

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
The new motor they used for the replacement had better bearing in them...anyway I am glad you had faith in me... Hopefully you will not need me again in the near future...

Happy Labor Day

Chas