Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My GE refrigerator model number TFX20SABK runs constantly.

My GE refrigerator model number TFX20SABK runs constantly. The refrigerator side does not cool. The freezer does freeze but just barely. I just defrosted the unit. Shut it off overnight. I removed the back panel in the freezer and the frost was gone. The fan seems to run all the time. Could the mother board be bad?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Around behind the refrigerator under the comver there is a fan. Is that fan operating?

How long has it been turned back on after the defrost and how long was it off for the defrost?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan is running. It has been back on for 1hr 15min. It was off for 24 hours. I had done the same thing a week ago and it worked fine for a day or so

Thanks Dennis, there between the doors there where you can see that metal strip with the doors closed feel of that area. Is that warm at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It feels room temp. no heat coming out

That area should be hot to warm if the compressor is circulating any coolant at all. You can pull the inside lower rear panel from inside the freezer and verify the coils are not frosted completely from the bottom to the top. They should be after an hour and a half. That is a little too soon for the refrigerator to be cold, and even with a low coolant condition enough may still be in the system to cool it if you leave it running overnight but it is definitely low. When coolant circulates it pulls the heat out of the refrigerator. It becomes very warm and one of the places that coolant goes is between the doors. This is by design to keep that area from sweating during the summer months. So heat is supposed to be present there in that area. The other thing you can do is touch the compressor on the top and be sure it is actually vibrating/running. If it is not running get back to me. If it is operating check the coils if they are not lightly frosted from top to bottom in the freezer it is not going to get cold and your going to need a tech with a coolant recovery license to come and put coolant in it. Please ask if you have questions. Thanks, Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The freezer seems to be working. If you touch the area between the doors it is warm. Do I need to remove the panel again? to check the compresso?

I would, go ahead and check it and check those coils in the freezer. I believe there are only 4 or 5 screws holding it on Dennis. Take your time, I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will take the panel off. The fan just stopped and ice came out of the ice maker. I will get back with you.

That is a good sign, maybe you just have a defrosting problem. When you remove the cover in the freezer leave it off and shut the door. Let me know what the coils look like. It is the lower rear inside cover.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a small amount of frost on the botom of the coils. Where is the compressor located?

Its around behind the refrigerator, are those coils lightly coated though all the way up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yea lightly coated at the top and quite heavy at the bottom

Okay that is good, don't worry about the coolant. There is a part with I think it is a small orange wire and pink wire clipped near the top of those coils, is that part good and cold (frosty)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is cool but not real cold, and the coils have lost their frost and it seems like it has stopped working

If all is quiet carefully check the bottom of those coils, there is a heater down there and it is supposed to be red hot so be careful. Right up next to the bottom of that coils set. Is that heater on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't seem to be. Is it hooked to a blue and a pink wire?

Yes that is it. Its more or less a glass tube with a coil inside. This is what to do. Defrost the bottom that is thickly coated. That is restricting the air flow. Be sure to put the cover back up after to direct the air through the coils and give it 12 hours. Your refrigerator should be cold by then. Replace that heater so it self defrosts again and I believe from your description of the condition of the coils that will take care of the problem you have.

I have linked the heater you need just below.

If you have any questions please ask, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you the refrigerator just started working again. Also there is a gap between the back panel and the sides. Is this ok?

Yes it is okay, there may have been rubber seals there at one point but if there was it will not be enough of a gap to make a difference. Just melt it on out and turn it on. If it gets cold put that new heater in there and you should be good for a while.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Again if you have questions I will be here for a while, please ask.