Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

how do you remove the glass top from a ge pgs968sepss rang

how do you remove the glass top from a ge pgs968sepss range
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The top removal instructions are on page 58 of the manual below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i tried the download and it didnot work. Jim

This one should work, sorry about that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it shows what looks like a metal top but doesn't specify a glass top which is what i have?

The tops should come off the same way. Here is what the manufacturer supplies that is model specific with the range.

1. Cut off gas supply to range.
2. Cut off electrical supply to range.
3. Remove the control panel as follows:
a) Remove knobs.
b) Unscrew and remove hexagonal control panel fasteners.
c) Lift the control panel glass and remove the ribbon connector.
d) Remove hex head screws from metal insert.
e) Lift off insert/clock assembly.
f) Remove the 3 amp connectors from the electronic clock.
g) Disconnect the 12 pin amp connector.
h) Remove the upper hex head screws holding the control panel to the maintop frame.
i) Remove the lower screws holding the control panel to the maintop baffle.
(NOTE: These are accessed through the top of the oven cavity behind the door.)
j) Remove the control panel.
4. Remove the gas fitting (right side) connecting the gas manifold to the gas supply line.
5. Remove two screws, one right, one left holding the maintop to the range frame.
6. Unscrew and remove the oven cavity vent using a 1/2 inch socket and turn counterclockwise.
7. Lift off the maintop by sliding forward. NOTE: Take care to miss the oven cavity vent when
sliding forward.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i print that last reply ?

Sure, you can do it most easily by copying it (right click) and pasting (another right click) into a Word program on your computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason i am asking this question is when i was converting the orfices from nat to lp gas i dropped one of the orfices off my nut driver and it fell down into the pan below the top glass cover and i cannot get to it, I ordered another orfice. do you think there is any reason to retrieve the dropped orfice? it looks likeit will just lay in the pan.

For the trouble in removing the top, I would leave it. It is not going to hurt anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i rate you can i get any followup questions on this problem or is it closed for good?

Of course, for as long as you need until the issue is resolved, there is no charge for follow up questions. Save that manual, too! They are very expensive if you have to order them!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I appreciate your timely assistance and the copy of the manual as they are not easy to get. I think I will leave the orfice in the pan and install a new orfice, Thanks again. Jim

I agree with your decision. Thank you and have a great evening!