Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have Kenmore Elite Dishwasher, serial # XXXXX

I have Kenmore Elite Dishwasher, serial # XXXXX The dishes are not coming out clean at all. I am not sure where to start. We live on a small Island with no services so have to figure this out for myself.

Appresiate your help
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do is run a cycle with no dishes inside except 4 glasses facing upwards in the top rack. Will the dishwasher fill the cups with water at all when you open the door 10 minutes later? If not, is the floor covered in a layer of water inside the tub?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am just starting to fill the washer now and will open it in 10 minutes and let you know

Sorry they took a long time to find my password XXXXX I could go on with you but have it now!

That's quite alright, just let me know what you find out when you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there is water in the glasses on the top shelf and the bottom of the dishwasher is full of water

OK so the dishwasher itself is functioning properly then because it's getting enough water and the pressure is good enough to fill the cups. So if the dishes are not cleaning, you'll need to scrub them clean by hand with hot water and vinegar because the dishwasher can't get the film off the glasses once the film is baked and dried onto the glasses. That being said, this is actually a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Finish Power Boost" (blue bottle with a red cap) which you add to your detergent. In addition to that, be sure to use Jet Dry Turbo (not just normal Jet Dry) as your rinse agent. About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. Go to the two links below and you can learn more about the complaints people are having since this regulation went live. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently. Please ignore the advice about vinegar or baking soda in the links as those are home remedies that really don't work.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on an Island, so will take the ferry across this afternoon and get the Finish Power Boost and the Turbo Jet Dry. I have been using the jet dry but it doesn't seem to be going down on the glass site.

How can I get a hold of you this evening or tomorrow sometime after I try what you suggested?

Once you rate me, there is an Email sent to you in case you have follow-up questions. If your jet dry isn't releasing, you'd definitely need a new dispenser because that would cause this problem as well. But it's hard to know if it works or not because it only releases a little bit and takes about 50 loads to go from full to empty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other question I had was that we have very hard water, sulfer smell in it and all. Is there any dishwasher soap that would be better than another?

Hard water is definitely hard to work with and you can never get ideal results with hard water. But if you use an enzyme bases detergent instead of a Bleach detergent (like Electrolux enzyme tablets) those work better with hard water.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for some Electrolux enzyme tablets..... will get back to you if this doesn't work.

No problem and good luck!