Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

GE Elite Profile PGSS5PJX refrigerator ... purchased ~2010.

GE Elite Profile PGSS5PJX refrigerator ... purchased ~2010. Repairs: frozen water line ... tech said we kept doors open too long; had an earlier issue while under warranty (forgot what); current: both top door gaskets need replacement (with labor, visit, parts, installation) GE estimate $600 ... this does NOT fix the frozen eggs or the ice maker that will not stop producing ice. I assume, we have a bad thermometer also ... have not priced fix ... my estimate probably around $200.

Do I fix it or replace it?

What 4 door refrigerator is the one to buy? All owner reviews either rave or hate their refrigerator ... depends on whether they have the lemon or not. Help.

I am so disappointed in GE. My other GE appliance are losing their paint (stove, microwave). How do you find appliances that just work and do not fall apart or need repairs?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
when you say what 4 door refrigerator should you by do you mean side by side ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a French door (2 doors) refrigerator with 2 freezer drawers below

oh okay. I'll opt out because like you said everyone has a different opinion on different makes and I cant tell you which 4 door is best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is no help at all ... do you recommend fix or replace

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

I know your frustrations, this unit even though it is says it is a GE is made in Korea by LG, the door gaskets and freezing problems are well known for a long time. Ge use to make one of the best for the money, however competition with the overseas makers made this happen, I personally would not put any money into it as you will be feeding a dead horse, there are a few good 4 door models out there, what price range would you be looking at?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are sales now happening ... I would like to keep 4 doors (2 French refrigerator, 2 freezer or deli drawers) ... hope max out at $2500. We are a family of 3 adults, but when company comes it is many at once ... we can always buy ice and I do keep a 2nd refrigerator (Maytag side by side) on another level. Does that help?

I want one that works.

I have a Whirlpool, that is fantastic and on sale now $2250 with free delivery. The ice maker is built into the ceiling of the unit, plenty of space. the link is below to it.

Click Here

Made in the USA and comes with a great warranty. I have had mine for a year and still operates like the day I bought it, have not had to repair any of these since they came out on the market...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lowe's has model WRX735SDBM on sale for $1781+ ~210 tax, 150 4 yr extended warranty. I looked at the model ... I liked everything UNTIL I pulled out the drawers ... they were cheap plastic, hard to open and plastic rubbed on plastic. Once loaded those drawers would be the pits.

What are the drawers like in your refrigerator? I will find that model and have a look. The reviews were favorable on the Whirlpool above, except for loud compressor. Since it was not operational, I have no idea what loud means.

What do you think of Samsung? 28 cu ft RF4287HARS or 25.5 cu ft RF4267HARS? reviews were love or hate, all sorts of issues

What do you think of KitchenAid? 25cu ft KRXS25RYWH not sure why I did not research this one

Besides GE what are the other brands to avoid? Which brands are made in USA?

They are on metal tracks with ball bearings allowing easy pulling and closing of the drawers.
if we are talking about the main drawers and not the interior ones. Most are made with plastic on plastic for the interior drawers.. Maytag/Whirlpool/Kitchenaid are made by the same MFG, all made in the USA. Frigidaire is made in Mexico now. The nice thing about Kitchen AId units are they have more features and 90% of the time they come with long warranties with them. The kitchen aid you mention comes with 10 years warranty on the sealed system, unheard of by other companies..

THe LG and Smasung I can never recommend to anybody, they make good electronics but terrible refridgerators, I fix more of them than any other brands....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THAT was what I needed to hear. No wonder I really like the Maytag downstairs. Okay, now I can shop and I know what NOT to buy.

Have a nice day. You just make mine .

I am glad that I made your day, enjoy the weekend....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here