Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

my whirlpool duet washer does not seem to drain, and it display

Customer Question

my whirlpool duet washer does not seem to drain, and it display error codes E01 and F09 when we try to run it. I replaced the pump but the problem persists. I have also checked all the drain hose and it appears to be clear. What else is likely to cause this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

What is the full model number of the washer?

Jon :

as far as for the error code of e1 f9, it is for a drain error. But that is vague. It can be for any miscommunication from the drain motor to the control. And could be a timed issue with the drain. And could mean the drain pump is working but taking too long to drain the water out. Usually caused by a clogged drain pump filter or kinked or too long of a drain hose.

Jon :

Or sometimes the control is actually the issue and gives you a false error. And or if the drain pump wasnt draining water out before changing the drain motor, but now after replacing the drain motor it is draining, you may just need to reset the control board.

Jon :

Basically get back to me here when you are ready and I will first double check to see that you have the right and most updated drain motor/ pump in your machine. Then walk you through some checks we can do to find the problem.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

the model number of the machine is WFW94HEXW2. I took the front panel off and took down the number of the pump motor/drain from the machine (it is part number W10241025), I ordered a new one and put it in. When I run the rinse/spin cycle I get a sud message after about 10 minutes and then a f09 and e01 error after about 20 minutes. sometimes I can hear a sound like it wants to drain, but I don't think any water is coming out.

Jon :

ok. thank you first for the model number and extra info. it helps tremendously.

Jon :

First, if you have replaced the drain pump already, have you checked the drain hoses inside the machine, the ones that connect the tub to the drain, for any socks or change or any other debris that can clog the line and prevent draining?

Jon :

if so, and didnt find anything, but yet still no drain at all, then you may have a bad drain pump. And will need to have you check the connections with a volt meter if you have one? otherwise, if not, and the drain pump just hums or vibrates when trying to drain, you may have something clogging the hose or outlet.

Jon :

and second, if you have gotten the SUDS code then that means that you are using way too much detergent. and if you get this error it is recommended that you clean the washer with washing machine cleaner then use less soap and only he soap as well.

Jon :

are you still there?

Jon :

did you see what i had written back to you above?

Jon :

please get back to me here when you have a minute to work on this machine and I will help you more.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

I fell asleep last night - thanks for the help I will keep working on it. I will double-check the drain hose and all the wiring next, I think. What do I check with the volt meter? See if the pump is getting power?

Jon : Yes. Check with meter. Check the wires going to the pump. There should be two.
Jon : While the washer is in a drain access the drain pump and stick the leads from your meter to the wires of the pump and see if you get 110 volts.
Jon : If you do and you hear the drain pump humming the there is something clogged in te hose or pump and needs to be cleaned out. Or you have another bad pump.
Jon : If no voltage to the drain pump and you dont hear it humming or working at all check the wiring. If wiring is good then You need a new control.
Jon : Check that and get back to me and I will continue helping you.
Jon : And please remember to positively rate my performance with ok service or better rating no below this chat if you felt that I have helped to answer your questions. And even after you rate me positively you can still come back here and I will continue helping you for no additional charge.
Jon : Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Tyler,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Should you have more questions please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.