Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Wolf stove. Left oven will not heat up.

Customer Question

I have a Wolf stove Model KK680D-159 SN: 60-1141160E03. It has six burners on the right and a griddle on the left. The oven on the right works, but the oven on the left does not work. The pilot appeared to be on, but after I twisted a small flathead valve screw the pilot went out. When the pilot was on, the oven would not fire up.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized SubZero and Wolf technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

I apologize for for the delayed response. I am just logging on for the day and just seeing your question now for the first time. Usually you will not have to wait so long to get a response from and expert here at the website.

Jon :

Is this a Wolf Commercial restaurant range? or commercial or professional range for a residential house?

Jon :

You model doesnt come back as a good number.

Jon :

Please get back to me here when you are ready and able to work on this machine and I will help you diagnose the problems you are having with the left side oven. It sounds like, and could be as easy as relighting your pilot light. Or even needing to replace it in general.

Jon :

Either way, please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

It's a commercial range. It's large with 6 burners over an oven on the right and a 36" griddle with three range controls over an oven on the left.

Jon :

ok. That is what I thought. Not the same as the more popular Wolf range from SubZero and Wolf ranges.

Jon :

Thats ok though. I can still help you.

Jon :

You said that you have noticed the pilot light has gone out in the oven that is not working correct?

Jon :

If so, and the oven doesnt work now, then you need a new pilot and thermocouple assembly. It is common problem on these style ranges.

Jon :

Do you have experience working on these machines?

Customer:

The oven on the left is not heating up. When I looked originally at the pilot it was lit. I turned a small flat head valve screw on the bottom and I think that's what put the pilot light out.

Customer:

So even thought the pilot was lit, the oven was not lighting up the burners.

Customer:

I am a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Jon :

hah. love it.

Jon :

ok if you had adjusted the calabration screw for the burner valve of the pilot and adjusted it the wrong way, lessened the flow of gas to the pilot, it will go out. causing all the trouble.

Customer:

Not quite. The pilot was lit prior to me putting it out. When the pilot was lit the oven was turned on and it was not heating up.

Jon :

what you need to do first is adjust the same screw for the pilot back the other way. you should hear the gas coming back through the valve to the pilot. when you ehar that you will need to re light the pilot with a flame. then once lit, then hit and hold the ignite knob down to ignite the oven as normal.

Customer:

It seems to me the signal from the temp dial is not making it to the burner.

Jon :

if the oven or pilot does light then you need a new pilot assembly

Jon :

and I would also get the valve for it since you had to make an adjustement in the first place causing the pilot to go out. That usually means the valve is getting clogged and jammin. not letting enough gas to light the pilot.

Customer:

Is there a fail safe for the pilot if it goes out? Or do I need to get a lighter and re light it myself?

Jon :

That is correct in a way, that the signal is getting to the burner. But it will not and should not until the pilot is lit. You have to fix that first then try it again. and when the pilot is lit and the oven doesnt work again, change the valve. that is what send the signal to the burner.

Jon :

you need to first readjust the screw to the pilot and valve so that the gas can come back out. then get a bbq lighter and relight the pilot. once lit, then try relighting with the knob.

Customer:

How involved is changing the valve?

Jon :

if it doesnt work and the pilot is staying lit and you dont here the gas coming through the valve to light the flame, order the valve.

Jon :

not too involved if you are some what handy. just need to access it, turn the gas supply off, then swap out.

Customer:

Do any of the electric components on the bottom need to be checked for resistance?

Jon :

but i would first try relighting the pilot and adjusting the screw to the valve.

Jon :

you should have any electric components to the oven portion of this machine. what are you referring to?

Jon :

The pilot and gas valve are the only things that will control wether or not the oven lights.

Customer:

Behind the kick plate where I viewed the pilot light and accessed the valve there are three (relays?) they are roundish and have a terminal on each side. They are not that big in size.

Jon :

Ok I have not checked the diagrams for your machine yet. i have just been going off what you were describing. But what you are describing as the relays behind the kickplate of the oven would be more for an electric igniton style oven.

Jon :

and from what you were describing as the pilot light, you shouldn't have any electric components to this machine.

Jon :

do you have igniters in the oven right next to the burners? or an open flame pilot light like i think you were mentioning above?

Jon :

do you actually see a flame to the pilot light? or does it just glow red when trying to light?

Customer:

They are flame pilots.

Jon :

ok. that is what i thought.

Jon :

Then the relays on the bottom of the machine should be ok and we will not need to check them for this issue.

Jon :

i would again, first re adjust the screw in the valve that you turned. then relight the pilot then try turning the oven on again they way you used to with the valve and knob up top.

Jon :

then if the pilot lights but the oven doesnt light the burner tube, then you need to get down in the oven and check to make sure gas is coming out of the valve.

Jon :

if it isnt, that is the reason why it is not lighting. and you will need to replaced the valve.

Jon :

if there is gas coming out of the valve but no ignition then replace the pilot assembly with thermocouple.

Customer:

If the pilot becomes lit, but it does not ignite the burners what would I do for that?

Jon :

check to see if the gas is coming to the valve by the pilot. if there is no gas coming out of the valve going to the burner to light from the pilot, then you have either a bad valve or no gas to the oven. since everthing else works i am sure you have gas.

Jon :

if there is gas to the pilot and you should be able to hear it and smell it, then replace the pilot assembly.

Customer:

How do I locate the parts? Is there an online site that I can purchase from? How do I source the parts? I'm pretty sure I wrote down the model number as it was stamped - the plate with the serial # XXXXX model # XXXXX behind the kickplate on the left.

Jon :

let me try to get you the parts info now. be right back.

Jon :

does your range say challanger or commander series on it at all?

Jon :

you can go to www.wolfstoves.com for parts info. just enter in your model number and parts will come up. Or if you would like just call them when they are open and speak with a parts rep and they will send you the parts for your model.

Jon :

if you have any troubles ordering parts get back to me here and I will try to help you more.

Jon :

if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance today, now, below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you need to get back to me with more questions or concerns, please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks.

Jon :

this is alos another good source for parts on wold ovens

Jon :

http://www.dvorsons.com/parts/wolf.html

Jon :

or just click the image above and it should link to the parts page.

Customer:

I'm not at the range right now, but I don't remember seeing a series type. I will try calling in for parts tomorrow - thanks for walking me through.

Jon :

you got it. That is what I am here for. It was my pleasure.

Jon :

Please remember to positively rate my performance now. And remember, if you have more questions you can always come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge. You will always be able to get back to me here.

Jon :

Thanks again.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ted,

Thank You for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or concerns or troubles ordering parts for your machine, please get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know how you make out as well.

Thanks and have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon,

I messed with the pilot valve screw, so I am not sure how open or closed it needs to be to get things going. What's the procedure to set the pilot on? There's a circular hole where I can get a bbq lighter in there, but the pilot doesn't seem to be lighting.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok to fully access the pilot assembly you may need to remove the bake plate on the bottom of the inside the oven. This will give you access to the pilot.

Then you will have to try to ligh the pilot while the valve is on and the oven is calling for a bake cycle. If the pilot doesn't light with BBQ lighter then adjust the screw in the other direction. But please remember don't adjust the set screw in the valve more the one full revolution. In either direction. A quarter turn should be good and will adjust the gas just fine.

If the pilot still does t light then you need a pilot assembly with thermocouple. And if you aren't smelling gas then order the gas valve just to be safe.