Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

OK I have the new motor in hand trying to install having problem

OK I have the new motor in hand trying to install having problem attaching blower blades to motor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK so if you want to take the blower housing apart, you can do that--but you don't remove the entire housing. There is a screw going into the floor in the front bottom left corner as well as the front bottom right corner. Remove these 2 screws and the then remove all the screws around the border on the FRONT of the blower housing. The entire front panel will pull off at this point but it will be held on tight so you will need to pull and wiggle it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will try this later and get back with you have to pick up the dog @ day care

OK sounds great. If you need anything else, just let me know.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a fallow up question that involves reinstalling the motor. The new motors wire connections are different the old motor. What fallows is the wire pattern from the wire diagram that was inside the dryer when I took it apart

The Old motor is wired

Terminal # Wire color destination Wire color that goes inside

stays inside motor

1 Black Ground none

2 Violet high limit none

3 no wire out black

4 Yellow/Black high limit orange

5 Blue Start SW Blue

6 Brown timer none

The question were do these wires go on the new motor?

1 none

2 number is XXXXX on the bar but no flange for a wire

3 none

4 again number on bar but no flange to attach anything

5 none

6 Black

7 these three wires go from terminals orange

8 to spots inside the motor Blue

9 this terminal is marked GND no wire attached

I hope this info is helpful I will not work again on the dryer till Friday night

There is no rush on your answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

More info on new motor it is the GE universal Dryer motor WE1710010

This is one that Repair Clinic gave as the replacement for my current motor

So unfortunately I really can't see how the motor should be attached for certain, but if there weren't instructions that came with the motor, then all the wires should go to the same spots that they went on the old motor. I really wouldn't be able to say how the universal motor should be wired for certain though I'm afraid.

So for example, whatever went on terminal 1 should still go on terminal 1. GE will change motors to make then universal for multiple models sometimes, but unless it comes with instructions, it should be wires the same.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

As I can see the fore mating of my last response did not come out very well

As far as instructions that came with the new motor they do not take into account the absence of Terminals # XXXXX and #4 on the new motor and both have wires attached to them on the old motor

Some one has to have come across this issue before given the number of these dryers out there.

That may be possible, but I never use universal parts, I use OEM parts so I could not say without reading the instructions and seeing the motors exactly how to wire them up exactly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This is the OEM part GE has replaced the original motor on several modles with this motor. Can you get me touch with someone who may have incountered this before? At this point I can not progress further with the repair with of doing harm to the new motor.

I'll opt out of this question and if someone can help you with the wiring they will pick up the question and try to assist you.

Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 11 months ago.
On new motor attach the blue wire to terminal 5 ( it has blue motor wire also attached there ) Attach the black wire to terminal 3 ( it has a black motor wire attached there ) Attach the orange wire ( it may look brownish ) to terminal 4 ( it has an orange motor wire attached there ) There are two remaining wires ( slightly larger wires ) - they go to terminals 1 and 2 and it doesn't matter which wire to which terminal just so they go to 1 and 2which are the two terminals on the right end as you are looking at the motor from the pulley end. The terminal at the left end of the motor ( again as you are facing the pulley end of the motor is for the green ground wire which ends up attached to something metal - usually the motor mount.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well thanks for the feed back. Smile This is what I have to work with on the new motor Terminal #1 (no wire going out) Terminal #3(no wire going out) Terminal #5 (no wire going out) Terminal #6 (no blade for incoming wire) Wire going out of #6 is black. Terminal #7 (orange wire routed to inside of motor. Terminal #8(Blue wire going inside motor) Terminal #9 no wires but spot is marked GND

There are no blades or wires @ terminals 2 and 4 just the raise numbers @ those spots

I found a referance online from a appliance forum were others had the same issue I have, neither of the 2 places had any solutions.

I'm holding this motor - part number WE17X10010 in my hand and the terminals are MARKED on the black edge of terminal bar going left to right as facing the pulley end First terminal - no mark - that's the ground wire ( green ) next is 5 which has a blue motor wire, then 4 which has an orange motor wire, then 3 which has a black motor wire and NO place ( no terminal for a connection ) then 6 , then 1 , then a little farther right is 2 This motor says WE00X476 on it and the GE motor designator 5KH26JJ113S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thank you we are on the right track now I was looking at it from the other end and did not see the numbers on that end. So now where do I now transfer the wires from old to new.

Working from my IPad now, will switch to my desk top if you need photos
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Working on the issue tonight will get back to you tomorrow or so thanks

You shouldn't have any trouble now since you've determined the terminal markings
If you have no further questions please rate my answers - it's how I get paid for the time I've spent helping you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK!Smile Dyer now running just got to put the rest of it back together tonight'

Just two small questions. I was testing the rotation of the drum with the door open and holding down the cut off switch with the heat on medium.

The top of the dryer got realy hot back by the control pannel. Now the control pannel was not hot just the lid or top of the dryer toward the rear.

With the little bit I know I am thinking since the door was open the dryer could not vent the hot air from the coils out and retained it in the back of the dryer. I ran the dryer with the heat on high with the door shut as it should be and the same spot on the lid of the dryer stayed cool.

Other question I did the rookie mistake and had 3 screws left over all the small type like the ones that hold the back panel on the dryer. Looked with a flash light and could not find and holes not occupied by a screw.

All else seems well

You are CORRECT about the air flow - in fact that is how you tell if the high limit thermostat is working , if the door is open the heat elements should not stay on long , the limit turns them off. Two screws go on inside near top to hold the front on , two screws about 14 inches up between the front and side panels to hold the sides tight to the shiny metal brace at the front. There are two LONG screws holding the back of the blower housing to the front of the blower housing and two screws holding the back of the motor mount ( one down into the floor and one horizontal sort of under the motor. One screw holding a thermostat on the blower housing. You may have taken out screws on the blower housing tht didn't need to be removed . all i can think of , but all GOOD mechanics have screws left.
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.