Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE refrigerator that is only 3 years old. There is

I have a GE refrigerator that is only 3 years old. There is a noise that seems to be originating in the freezer motor (it's a top mount freezer)When I unplug it and replug it the noise subsides for a period of time. It happened a couple months ago, and started again today and has today started making the noise just a few hours after replugging it in. Any ideas as to what's causing it and what I might do to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

When you say freezer motor do you mean from behind the panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is emanating from the rear at the top of the unit.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok can you give me the model number from the sticker inside the fridge please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, by "at the top" I mean from behind where the freezer is on top of the refrigerator.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok if you can give me the model number Ill take a look.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GTH18EBTZRWW
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thanks if you could give me a moment to look that up.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds to me like the evaporator fan motor has worn or the blade has gotten caked up with frost, Remove the food from the freezer then remove the shelfs, Once out remove the panel on the inside rear of the freezer. When the panel is out you will see the fan, Check to make sure the fan is not clogged with frost, if it is thaw the frost with a hair dryer.

If the fan is not covered in frost then replace the motor it is likely worn.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,