Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer Model No. WGD58-40SWD. It is

I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer Model No. WGD58-40SWD. It is five years old. Worked well since we bought it at Lowe's and installation was done through them. A few months ago when my wife tried to turn it on there was a gas smell. The dryer tumbles fine but there was a gas smell and it did not heat. From there on we have to keep the gas valve to the dryer off and have not used it since. If we turn on the gas valve there is a gas smell not using the dryer at all. Some valve within the dryer that is supposed to reléase the gas when it is turned on stuck open perhaps?

Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first. Whirlpool had an issue with the gas valve on that unit. A lot of them have failed and start leaking. Here is a link to the part you need to replace to fix the leak and get it working again. Just copy and paste the link below into your address bar.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Given the cost of this part, do you think replacing the part will make the dryer good to go for several years or would you recommend buying a new dryer?

The dryer is a good machine and I would repair it. It should last years