Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hello, I am having a similar problem to the one you answered

Hello, I am having a similar problem to the one you answered online. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I will do my best to help. Could you explain a little about the problem you are having?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The icemaker is not producing ice and the LED is blinking 2 times, then pause. When I press the plastic flapper on the left side nothing changes on the LED.

Thanks

If you look on the left where you press that flapper down there is a small hole. Go and press it again and keep your hand and arm below that hole. There is a beam that shoots straight across and if you block that beam it is the same as not pressing it. Could you try that please?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, i just did that and now the LED is off and the ice maker is making some clicking noises

I understand, watch the ice maker a few minutes. There are fingers that rotate there to push the ice out. Are those fingers jumping and not turning?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just watched the fingers go from upward to somewhat downward. I think they were turning rather than jumping but they are downward now.

Okay continue to watch this is very important. What I need to know and it will take a few minutes is if they complete a rotation, then if they do does ice come out. Take your time.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It seems stuck and now the LED is blinking again. When I close the flapper now the LED is solid on. Does this give you any info?

Yes that is good. And when it is solid the ice maker should finish the rotation. Hold that so that the light is solid and hold the light switch at the door frame so the lights are off. Most of those style ice makers are also wired to the lights.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will do this now. By the way the tray now seems filled with water instead of ice.

Oh that is good, then those fingers have finished the rotation. Look and try to see if they are pointing toward the door and a little above level with the horizon.

Also did it dump some ice?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes and yes

Hmmmm, What about your freezer door, if you open that about 8 inches and release it does it close without a push?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes

Check your ice bin on the door, is that seated well so that it was not up into and blocking that beam?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it is seated well. we have had two power outages recently, in case that might be a factor?

It could be, was the water off at any point as well? This could cause an ice blockage in the fill tube inside of the freezer.

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

water was not off at any point that I know of

Well the only thing I can think of is that the ice maker got jammed when the power went off and finally broke itself loose. Once that style of ice maker breaks it never works again, it stays broken. So being jammed is the only thing it could be.

There is a heater on the bottom of that ice maker and it becomes very very hot. If the power went out while that ice maker was rotating then those ice cubes would melt and could freeze the ice maker in place or make an odd shaped ice cube to jam it.

I cannot think of anything else it could be. Keep this page saved to your favorites, followup questions are free for 30 days. That way you can return with no problems right here. As far as I know the only day I am expected to be out is part of the day on the 28th. That way you know if you try to reach me that day.

I honestly cannot recommend that you need a part at this point because the silly thing just did exactly what it was supposed to do. I have to believe it must have been jammed.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully won't need any more help. thanks very much!

You are most welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Yes keep an eye on it, I believe it will go on making ice however I am here if something happens please let me know, we will most certainly continue.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.