Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Hi Barry, my fridge is not cooling but the freezer is working

Hi Barry, my fridge is not cooling but the freezer is working properly. I followed some of the steps you mentioned with others with the same problem and found little air coming out of the vent in the upper portion of the fridge when the freezer door is open but no air when the freezer door is closed. I did notice frost build up inside the freezer along the back that isnt normally there. Ca you help
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I would be happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to look over the diagrams for your model.

Thanks,
Barry
Do you have or do you know someone who has an ohm meter to test with?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I do not.

I understand, I was looking to see if there was a way to manually get your model into defrost but there is not. Go ahead and do this. Remove the screws from the lower rear wall in the freezer. You may need to heat it with a hair dryer and pull that panel out. On some models you have to remove the shelf holders on one side as well. Defrost the coils there and take a look at the bottom of those coils. There is a heater there. Can you find a rough spot on that heater?

Please take your time.
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, ill let you know what I find.

That will be fine, please don't rush. Just take all the time you need I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Defrosted the coils and found the heater (I think) along the bottom. No rough spot smooth across the length of line.

Okay that is good. When those blow they at the very least leave one rough spot.

Follow the wires from the heater. They will go up to the top of the coils and one wire will connect to a disk shaped object with 2 wires. Look very closely at this part. Around the top area where the wires go in can you see a spot that looks a little swollen?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The area looks fine, nothing unusual.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX rear wall back because you will need that to guide the air. I will need a few minutes to look up the last part number and to type. Make sure the coils are all frost free. And they were packed with frost?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the coils had quite a bit of ice built up particularly along the bottom of the coils.

Good, then we are going in the right direction. Make sure they are frost free and put the cover up. I will be a few minutes.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

coils are clean and void of any frost and rear wall back is back in place.

The third and last part to the defrost system in your refrigerator is the main control board. The other 2 parts looked good so the board must be the cause of it not defrosting. I have arrowed the board in the diagram linked below. Click the link and scroll down the page, you will see the diagram.

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

That area is the compresor area around behind the refrigerator. The board is inside a box usually near the fan back there. To replace it unplug the refrigerator swap out the board and put the connectors back. They will only fit where they belong. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. Sometimes the boards start in the defrost cycle so if you do not hear it start right away give it 40 minutes to get through the cycle. It will start. I have linked the board just below for you, there is a year warranty and a no questions asked return policy.

That will take care of it, if you have any questions please ask, if not please leave a rating.

CLICK HERE FOR THE PART

Thanks,
Barry

P.S. Your refrigerator will cool about 10 days. After that amount of time it will need defrosted again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify I need to replace the board with a new one?

Yes I cannot get part numbers to the components on the board, manufacturers will not give that information out. The board is as small a part number that I am allowed to get.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you. You mentioned the fridge will cool for about 10 days then most likely need to be defrosted again. Was this using the existing board?

You are welcome,

Yes that is using the existing board. It usually takes 10 to 14 days to build enough frost to block the airflow when those coils are not defrosting. This normal for all frost free refrigerators that are not defrosting like they should.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, I hope this resolves the problem and appreciate your patience and help.

You are very welcome, I appreciate the opportunity. You folks have a nice evening.

Barry