Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a hotpoint side by side. Freezer is staying pretty cold--

I have a hotpoint side by side. Freezer is staying pretty cold-- but not freezing, fridge side is not staying cold at all. coils at the bottom are a little dusty but dont seem very hot
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? Also, if you look at the lower back panel INSIDE the freezer, do you see any frost build up on that back panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im not acutally near the freezer. But I read your answer for the other person who had frost build up. Should I just go with that answer if there is frost

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, Since the freezer is still somewhat cooling, you most likely have a defrost problem. Now if you remove the lower back panel inside the freezer and you don't have ice packed on the silver coils, then the fan above the coils is likely not running and that fan would need to be replaced.

Of course, if you need any more additional help specific to your model, just let me know and you can return with a model number and I will continue helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im going to check for the model number and for ice build up in the freezer

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, sounds good. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is this the model number AN 598399 Definitely major frost build up in lower freezer

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I think that is the serial number, but it's not the model. The model would be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator or down by the bottom hinge of the refrigerator door.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fridge is in another house 300 yds away -- can you give me a best guess based on the frost buildup in lower freezer

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Certainly. You'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer (including behind that panel) and most likely need a new heating element since hotpoint uses glass defrost heaters so they fail just like lightbulbs often. But you'll need the model number to look up the right part number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there anyway to tell if the heating element has failed once I have it all apart and thawed

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you use a multimeter to check continuity you can let the heater dry out for a few house since the bulb will get water inside it and give a bad reading sometimes. Either way, if it's completely dry and you check continuity and it doesn't have any---then it's bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whats the easiest way to get that part--just order online?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye. You can order the part from Repairclinic.com or Searspartsdirect.com if you enter your model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did I remember you saying the fridge/freezer will work for a week or two once its been thawed out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, that is correct.