Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Freezer works on my refrigerator but no cooling in fridge portion.

Freezer works on my refrigerator but no cooling in fridge portion. Fan blowing, no ice problems as I have defrosted it over past 24 hrs.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a full model number so that I can better assist you? And by "fan blowing" are you referring to the fan inside the freezer is running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can't find doc with model no... it is apartment size top mount refrigerator. yes the fan in freezer is running

The model should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no sticker

Hmm, ok. So do you have a control to control the temperature of the freezer temperature on your model? If so, where is it and is it a turn dial knob?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes there is a rotary wheel on the rear wall of the freezer and a dial in the roof of the fridge section

freezer is set to 4 (mid range) and fridge set to 7 (high range) to open vent

OK perfect. So this is a very basic refrigerator. That turn dial knob is just a mechanical knob that opens and closes an airway to the refrigerator. If the freezer is working but the refrigerator is not and you don't have a defrost problem (because you unplugged the unit for 24 hours to let it thaw out to make sure), then either something is going on with the fan motor, or something is blocking the air way from the freezer to the refrigerator. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the back panel of the freezer. Remove the back panel and make sure the turn knob is opening to allow air to the refrigerator. Check the foam vents through the floor of the freezer to make sure they are not covered in ice or something and if they are, use a hair dryer to thaw them out. Other than that if you've been working on the unit possibly the fan blade was put on backwards or fell off of the fan motor? As a last possibility, the thermostat inside the refrigerator behind the turn dial knob in the refrigerator section would need to be replaced if everything else checked good.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thx... I'm thinking it's the thermostat but I'll recheck the vents

Alright, well those are the only possibilities so I do wish you the best of luck and hopefully it won't require a part replacement.