Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

our Electrolux chest freezer intermittently turns itself off

our Electrolux chest freezer intermittently turns itself off and the only way to get it to run again is to turn it all the way off and back on again. Today it shut off and all the contents defrosted and were lost. What causes this?

Hello Scott my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Give me just a few minutes to look at the diagrams please.

Thanks,

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks.

No problem, thanks for waiting Scott.

When it shuts off and before you get it to come on are there any sounds at all coming from it before you touch the control?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

none. it is silent. when I turn it off and back on then I can hear the compressor start.

That control is going bad, what you will need to do is go ahead an order one and get it on the way because it will fail. The control is the part the knob is attached to that you turn.

When you install the new one be sure the power is off. There is a long probe attached to that part and it usually goes into a hollow sealed tube on the freezer. A lot of times that tube is sealed with permagum. So when you insert the long probe that is attached to your part into the long hollow tube on the freezer make sure you get that sealed there. Permagum or something that will hold the temperature in there for the long probe to sense so its as accurate as possible.

I have linked the part below for you.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Control-Thermostat/5304476700/1615281?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions please ask, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,
Barry