Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator that has been making a lot

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator that has been making a lot of noise with a chirping sound. We have a renter who's bedroom is right underneath the refrigerator. What can we do to decrease the sound? It does really get loud at night. We had a repair man look at it and he said it was fine. It is noisy and the chirping sound is unusual. Please advise. Thank you, Barb
Hello Barb my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Are you able to tell if the noise is inside the refrigerator or outside?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It all started when my husband built a pantry on the refrigerator side. I think the noise is coming from the freezer side. It's like a whiring motor working with a kind of fog horn at the end and a continual high pitched cchirping or whistle.

There is only one moving part in the freezer Barb and that is the fan motor. There is also a fan motor at the rear of the freezer on the outside. If it happens to be on the outside at the rear there is a video below that shows how to change that fan motor. There is also a user guide there for you in case you wanted one.

There is not a video for the inside fan in the freezer so I will describe that one for you. Turn the power off to the refrigerator. Open the freezer door then remove the lower shelves and the shelf holders on the right side. Then at the lower rear remove all of the screws in that lower panel and then lift that lower panel up and off while turning it to the right at the same time to angle that panel out.

Then you can see the fan. The fan blade pulls off and then you can remove the fan motor.

The problem will be one or the other, its just a matter of locating which it is. I have also linked the parts below for you.

The fan behind the refrigerator and is outside next to the compressor is linked right below.

The inside fan motor is linked just below this line.

If you have any questions please ask, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Barry,

We had a repairman look at it and he said there is nothing wrong with the refrigerator. Could it have something to do with the pantry?

No I really doubt it Barbara, there is a slight chance that the side or the top may be vibrating against the wood causing the squeak, its not something I have seen but I imagine it could happen.

When bearings start going out on a fan motor they squeak like baby birds and the noise does not always happen. I bet when he came there it was running fine. And there is not a way to see the bearings they are sealed in the motor.

One thing you could try is changing the level on it some and see if that eliminates the squeak. If you will go back to that same link and scroll down you will see the installation manual. On page 8 it shows how to level the refrigerator. Give that a try and see if it helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Barry,

we have to go away for a few hours, but we will try it when we get back and get back to you. Thanks much. Barbara

You are very welcome Barbara. I will be here about 4 more hours today and all day tomorrow. Thank you for the opportunity to help.