Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II top load washing machine.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II top load washing machine. It is 8 years old. When I use the gentle or handwashable cycle the tub fills with granular dirt or sand. I am trying to see if there is a filter that I need to clean. I have not noticed this with the normal cycle as I presume there is enough pressure to clean and drain properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model number is XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I waited for over an hour for Kelly with no response. Will gladly have another technician answer my question
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service technician and I can help you today.

First off I would like to apologize on the websites behalf for Kelly's delayed response. Sometimes it can take a little while for the right expert to answer you back.

Okay so first thing to mention here is that if you are getting sand or dirt filling with the water in only the handwashable or gentle cycles then this would be water filling with the cold water side of the valve only. Almost all of Whirlpools washer, and most other washing machine manufacturers will use the cold water side of the valve with these types of delicate cycles.
So if you are only getting dirty water to the washer when in a cold wash cycle then we know the hot part of the valve and more importantly, the hot fill hose is clean.

We first need to check the cold side of the water inlet valve and the cold hose to the water supply. I would like for you to turn the water off to the machine at the supply. I am sure there is some sort of spout or nozzle for you to do this, correct? If so, please go ahead and turn both the hot and cold water valves at the supply off. This will prevent any water from getting to the water valve of the machine.

Next I would need for you to remove the hot and cold fill hoses to the water valve at the back of the machine. If it helps you, please remove the washer from the wall or where ever you have it to make the valves more accessible. Then with a wrench or channel lock pliers remove both the hot and cold water fill hoses from the water valve side of the washer. Please also keep some towels or a bucket handy because there will be some water that spills out.

Next I would like for you check the screens in the end of the fill hoses that connect to the water valve. at each end of the fill hoses, the end that connects to the water supply side in the wall of your house and the side at the washer, should have some sort of screen or filter to prevent any amount of sediment or debris from getting through the hoses to the valve and ultimately obstructing the flow of water through the valve to the machine.

If you notice either the screens are not there or there is a big build up of dirt or debris or sediment, flush it out with warm water. Don't, I REPEAT, DON'T remove the screen. It will be impossible to get back in correctly. Just flush out the screens with warm water to clean. The dirt should come right out.

Next, check the water valve screens. Right water the water fill hoses screw onto the water valve should also be screens to protect the water valve from sediment from your water supply. If there is any build up there clean it out the same way.

I have seen many times before when we get this complaint and it is almost always the supply line letting in more sediment then usual through the supply line from the house to the machine. rather then the machine itself.

I have even seen a bunch of customers especially now that the damage from Super Storm Sandy has passed, say that due to the erosion and ground water being disturbed, the homeowners have noticed sandy sediment in their washers and regular sinks. This is due to the storm churning the ground water and making it granulated more then usual. And if the screens are either gone from the valve or fill hoses, then the sandy water gets right into your machine.

This has even happened when there is plumbing work done to the house or if workers are digging the ground near to your home.

So please check that first and get back to me here with what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there was no sediment or dirt in either screen

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok.

So if there was no dirt in either screen are you only getting dirt from the cold water?

If yes then try this.

Take the fill hose hooked up currently to the cold water and swap it with the warm water side and try running it again. If you get the same sandy or sediment in your wash after a fill cycle then you know the problem is coming from the water supply. And that you would need a plumber to check out. You may have a broken pipe somewhere and it is letting in dirt and sediment in.

But if after swapping the hoses your water now fills better with less sediment then you know the hose is at fault and needs to be changed. But I have to say, the hoses are not often the problem.

You can also double check yourself by putting the washer into a warm fill and keep the cold water fill hose you had on and see if that now fills with dirty water or sediment. If it does, then you know for sure you need to change the hoses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use warm water on gentle which means both are filling washer. i know it is not either hose. is it possible that somewhere sediment is storing and appears because agitator is so low on gentle cycle.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you are using warm for fill then yes, both the hot and cold valves will come on. And like I said above, I doubt it was the hoses too. Just wanted you to check to clarify.

It is possible that sediment is being stored in the bottom of the wash tub in between the inner and outer drums and the drain pump. That i have seen before. But for you to physically see it while the wash is done filling with water would have to be a significant amount of dirt and sediment. Almost enough at that point to obstruct and restrict the way the water is draining.

Are you experiencing a longer then usually drain cycle? or are the clothes left wetter then normal at the end of drain and spin cycle?

If yes to the drain question above, then I would remove the drain pump hose from inside the machine and check the drain pump and filter for the same sediment. And if you ave sediment there, you will need to remove it by cleaning the drain pump and hoses. Then I would even advise doing several empty loads with hot water and about 4 ounces of just white vinegar. And let the cycle wash and agitate and drain and spin as usual. This will help to clean out the washer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the filter?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
On your washer the drain filter is inside the drain pump.

Have you taken a look at your drain pump yet?

Is your washer not fully draining?

How much sediment are we talking about inside the washer? in terms of inches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It fully drains. I will have to call a repairman to take it apart and check the drain pump. Do you agree?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
if you are somewhat handy and have some tools and some time to work on it, I believe you should be able to get to the drain pump, remove the clamps to it, and check.

But if you feel that either you cant do this or it is too involved then yes, better to let the professional do it for you.

I can try to download a video here showing you how to access and clean it out if you would like? otherwise, if you really want a repair company to do it for you that is fine to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate receiving the video and trying myself to save costs as I would have to pay travel for repairman because I live on a farm.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Here is a really great video showing you how to replace the drain pump in your model or a similar model. Just click on the video link below to view or copy and paste it to your web browser to open and view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DwV71h86Gxw

If you feel that you can do this in the video then I would say save the money you would spend on the repair company and try to do it your self. and then please run the tub cleaner through like I explain above. this will clean out the rest of dirt and sediment.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you still need more help or have more questions at another time, please just log back in here and come back to me and ask any other questions you may feel that you need to. I will answer them at no additional charge to you.

And please get back to me here if you are going to order the drain pump as I might be able to get it cheaper then the $35 plus shipping from repairclinic.com.

Thanks again and please let me know how you do.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please try removing and cleaning out the drain pump. And if see and have a lot of sediment in there I would advise just replacing the pump. Then again cleaning the machine with just the white vinegar a few times to clean the rest of the sediment out of the washer.

Please get back to me here again if I can be of more assistance to you and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the bonus as well. That to is greatly appreciated.