Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.

My frigidaire gallery oven wont shut off even after I press

My frigidaire gallery oven won't shut off even after I press cancel over and over. It stays on. It is model FGF 379weca. The a might be an "S". Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you tonight

Customer:

Thanks. This is my first time doing this, so not sure exactly how it works.

repairguy :

Please goto the circuit breaker and turn off power to the unit for a full two minutes, then restore power reset the clock and let me know if problem iis still there

Customer:

I'm brand new in this apartment and used the oven for the first time. Didn't really know what I was doing but managed to turn it on. Now can't get it off.

Customer:

Ok, geez . . I have to find the circuit breaker.

repairguy :

I have a feeling the circuit board might be confused

Customer:

No one ever showed me where the circuit breaker was. I will have to hunt for it. Give me 5.

repairguy :

no problem

Customer:

It's a condominium building and I found an "electrical" room in a common area in the basement but I'm too scared to screw around with it because it might affect other people's electricity. :/

repairguy :

Your condo does not have a fuse box?

Customer:

Right now, it is down low but still on. It looks like a bulb is on in the back left corner and that is what is generating the little bit of heat.

repairguy :

Do you think it is just the light?

Customer:

Maybe? When I stick my whole arm now, it is warm, pleasant . . not hot.

Customer:

With this model, I looked at the manual online and it said to press cancel to turn off. So I did that. Is there more you are supposed to do?

Customer:

Maybe I am missing something in the manual.

repairguy :

No that is all, but Im not sure it is cooking or if the light is just staying on

Customer:

Me neither. How long does it stay warm after you succeed in turning it off? It should be cool or room temperature right? Once off correctly? I am still uncomfortable that it is warm.

repairguy :

How long ago did you cook with it

Customer:

5 hours.

repairguy :

has the light been on the entire time

Customer:

But 1 hour ago I noticed that it was on and that's when I started trying to turn it off and got alarmed that I couldn't figure it out.

Customer:

So, 1 hour since it was on high.

Customer:

Yes, light has been on the entire time inside.

Customer:

Well, light on when I open door. Duh . . sorry not clear on that. Light goes off when door shut.

repairguy :

It could take some time for the unit to cool off on its own, I dont really have any printed times that it takes a unit to cool down, the light staying on is a concern though.

repairguy :

Oh it is suppose to do that then

Customer:

Ok . . . . perhaps I give it more time. Within an hour or so, it should be room temp correct? And light okay to come on when open door but go off when close, correct?

repairguy :

with the door shut the unit could easily take a few hours to get back to room temperature

Customer:

Okay. That's a relief.

repairguy :

Yes light is working correct

Customer:

It sounds like I did succeed in turning it off with the cancel button and it is taking time to come to room temp.

Customer:

I find this oven confusing as hell to operate.

repairguy :

I would crack the door open and yes after a hour it should be cooled off I would think

repairguy :

Yes I think you have the heat turned off

Customer:

Okay . . . if I am still having probs. is there a way to contact someone again?

Customer:

I had a house fire 6 weeks ago and lost my entire house and pets. So I'm spooked.

Customer:

That's why I'm in this new condo

repairguy :

just save this in your favorites, if you need me come back to this thread

Customer:

Ok. Thank you!

repairguy :

I understand but I think you are ok this time

Customer:

Ok. :)

repairguy :

No problem, please take a moment to rate my answers

Customer:

ok

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.