Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our Bosch dishwasher, She4am12uc-01, started to jump to Clean

Customer Question

Our Bosch dishwasher, She4am12uc-01, started to jump to Clean within a couple minutes of Start. At first, we could keep restarting and it would eventually run through a full and successful cycle. But eventually it stopped doing that.

We have now replaced the drain pump and the main circuit board (under the dishwasher) and the garbage disposal...but it still has the same problem. Please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

You need to replace the main control board in the console not the one under the unit. This is a very common issue on that unit. Replace the one in the console and it will work fine again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. I ordered a replacement part today. Let's see if it really fixes the problem. Then I will let you know and answer the rating. Best Regards!
OK great!
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I received and installed a new control panel in the door. I reset the power and tried to run a couple cycles...but it still has the same problem! $61 later, it acts the same as it did before.
So you are saying it is still jumping right to clean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just reset and it is now working great...many thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not fixed after all. It is now back to same symptoms. This is very frustrating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dishwasher is now only working 1/2 or 1/3 of the time. It is totally sporadic. What next?
Let me see if another expert has any ideas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stymied. I just tried to run a load. Same problem. So I opened the door, closed the door, switched from Power Scrub to Auto Wash, pressed Start, and it is now running the normal cycle with no problems.

Something intermittent is going on. I've switched both control panels, the drain pump and the garbage disposal.

Could it have anything to do with detergent? Module packs vs powder? Lack of special drying fluid in the adjoining dispenser? My only other guess would be some sensor...if there are any.

Ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is now getting worse. Please advise.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I suspect the turbidity sensor may be dirty or faulty. It "sees" any particles in the water and sends a message to the control to either continue washing or advance the cycle. If you live in an area of hard water, mineral deposits can cause this issue. Pour about 1/2 gallon of white distilled vinegar and leave it sit overnight. Then, start and run a cycle and see if the condition improves. If not, I would replace that sensor, pictured and available below.

Turbidity Sensor <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have hard water...do you mean pour the vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher? Is that where the turbidity sensor is?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I forgot to finish the sentence regarding where to pour the vinegar, how embarrassing! Embarassed Yes, pour the vinegar in the bottom of the tub and allow it to sit overnight. That sensor is in the sump assembly, mounted near the bottom. The mineral deposits block the little eye used to sense the particles. The vinegar will help to break the minerals up and clean off the eye so it can see well again. Try the vinegar and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've poured the vinegar...will let you no now tomorrow!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news: dishwasher ran a full cycle on the first try after the vinegar treatment. Bad news: when I tried to run another cycle it took three tries. Will try the vinegar again today.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I believe it has broken some "gunk" loose in the sump and the sensor is seeing that stuff floating around. It may take a few attempts at getting it all cleaned out but I suspect you will have no trouble once completed! Nice job!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our dishwasher is getting better and better over time. Thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is great news! I love vinegar, it is inexpensive and works for so many things! Thank you for the update.