Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have on old Chambers side by side wall oven from the 1960s.

I have on old Chambers side by side wall oven from the 1960s. (outside dimension of each oven is 24" - the whole frame is about 50 3/4") It's stainless steel. While old, they have been working fine, but now one is not working at all. The other only works on Broil. do you think they are fixable? I can't find parts online.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..you wont be able to get parts for those anymore ,but what usually happens with those old appliances is that the wiring gets brittle and you have a lot of bad connecions those are repairable, new wiring and terminals can repair a lot of the issues , if you want to try and save those ovens ,you need to pull them out and access the components by removing the top and rear panels ,go thru the wiring ,there is a good chance that you will find bad wiring and burned off connections , but as far as finding parts that will be difficult nobody is going to stock parts for 50 + yr old ovens..

Customer:

Thanks. So is it worth trying, or will it cost more than buying new ovens? How do we find a local technician? We're located in Bergen County, New Jersey?

Randy 43 :

well, honestly ,unless you are into getting a complete rebuild and changing all wires and parts that may be available ? you probably are at the stage where everything starts breaking down , nothing lasts forever ,no matter how good you take care of it ..ive fixed older appliances and something else breaks a few months later ,in all honesty you will be better off in the long run just buying something new ,that is just what ive run across

Customer:

Thanks. That's what i was afraid of.

Customer:

What kind of service technician repairs ovens? maybe it pays to call one just to check it out?

Randy 43 :

any appliance service guy can look at it , call a company that is established in your area ,been around for years ,maybe ask for a senior tech if they have one

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert