Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my whirlpool gb2fhdxws07 refrigerator is not getting cold,

my whirlpool gb2fhdxws07 refrigerator is not getting cold, nor is the freezer cooling. the unit is 13 months old. over the past few months i've had issues with water leaking out of the front of the freezer (which is on the bottom) and noted ice around the area where the drain is for the condenser. last night i noticed items in the freezer were not totally frozen today and started checking the unit. this morning i pulled everything out, unplugged the unit and allowed it to defrost for twelve hours before plugging it back in. the drain pan was full of water, i drained that before plugging it back in, and checked the drain grommet which i've read can sometimes cause issues. please advise. thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Now that you have the unit plugged back in, is the refrigerator or freezer cooling normally again after the 12 hour defrost?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no, it's blowing cool but not cold air. the freezer and refrigerator both feel about the same temperature. both are set to 5 out of 7 at the moment and have been running for about an hour.

OK so the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel to check the silver coils behind this panel. Are the coils lightly frost from top to bottom or?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I pulled the ice maker and the back panel off. I didn't do that until probably 9 hours after I had unplugged the unit, but the coils were not frosted at all. The drain pan was completely full when I pulled the back panel off the unit.

On that note, the ice maker has not dumped ice in probably 36 hours, and there was some frost on the food in the freezer when I emptied and powered the unit off.

Unfortunately that does not help. You need to do it when the freezer has been running for at least 20 minutes. I need to know what the coils look like now that it's running, so can you please remove the panel again now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

understood. it will take me a few minutes to get it back apart but I will respond as soon as possible.

OK, it's getting late so depending on how long it takes, I may have to respond first thing tomorrow so just make sure you clearly understand what the frost looks like on the silver coils and if the fan is running above the coils or not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Totally understand.

It takes a little time to get this thing apart, but I was able to get the back panel off again and the coils are not frosted at all. The fan is blowing cool but not particularly cold air into the freezer, and the fridge is getting almost no air movement at all. You have to put your hand up against the back wall of the unit to feel any air in the fridge. In the freezer you can feel air blowing, but again it's not that cold.

OK so that means you have a problem with your compressor or overload relay or possibly a freon leak. This does not have anything to do with the leaking water that you've probably already fixed at this point by thawing everything out. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to check the freon pressure to determine if you have a freon leak or need to replace the compressor.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.