Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model # WRT1L1TZYW01 serial

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model # WRT1L1TZYW01 serial number VS30550970. I bought it August 1st this year. It took 48 hours to cool to add food and the brochure said after 3-4 hours I could add food but it may take up to 24 hours to cool properly. After 4 days I noticed it kept going into the danger zone on a Taylor thermometer. At best it would be 37 degrees and then would rise to 47 on occasion. The freezer would go from 0 to 8 degrees at times. I moved the temperature setting from the recommended 3 snowflakes to 4 snowflakes. The thermometer read after 24 hours 33 to 35 degrees and the freezer read minus 8. So I was satisfied I had proper refrigeration. Now today I noticed this evening the refrigerator temperature in the danger zone of 42.When it reached 46 I moved my food out into a spare mini refrigerator. Right now it is down to 40 and 1/2 degrees. Should I set it at it's highest setting of 5 snowflakes or ask for my money back on poor refrigeration? The recommendation to have a refrigerator set at a temperature that can maintain food at 41 degrees or cooler is based on research that shows that harmful bacteria replicates so slowly or not at all at this temperature. I noticed I had dysentery this morning that's why I'm concerned about whether to keep the new refrigerator or get my money back and buy elsewhere. This is the first time I noticed it in the danger zone at setting 4 snowflakes. Tell me what to do. Karin Diederichsen(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are correct that the temperature should maintain below 41 degrees and preferably 37-38 degrees. Now that being said, The temperature of the air is not important, only that the food is kept at that temperature. The thermostats are not perfect and I'm not sure how quickly your Taylor thermometer reads, but it might read quicker than the thermistors used inside the refrigerator. Temperatures will fluctuate up and down but there is enough weight to "food" that the temperature should maintain a constant temperature. There is always going to be fluctuation of temperatures of the AIR inside the refrigerator. If you want to make sure the temperature is holding accurately, put a glass of water inside the refrigerator and put a thermometer inside the glass of water. Now the temperature should vary only 1 or 2 degrees up or down from 37 degrees if the refrigerator is working properly. I'd check the temperature the correct way with a glass of water and go from there. If the water is fluctuating from something like 34 degrees up to 42 degrees---there is a problem. You can either return the refrigerator if the dealer will allow you to do so, or you will need to call out warranty and they will come out and check over the refrigerator to see why it's fluctuating so much when it shouldn't.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!