Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Jen Air french door refrigerator Model JFC2089HES

I have a Jen Air french door refrigerator Model JFC2089HES (Counter Depth) and have been having a problem with the temperature. The compressor stops working and the refrig temp goes up to 48 and the freezer climbs to 20, then at some point the compressor kicks in and the temp goes back down to 38/0. 10 months ago I had a similar problem and the technician added a RCO810. Ev erythingthis was OK until now. I was going to check the amps on the compressor to see if it is going out. I also ordered another RCO810 (model #URCO810) and was going to try that. Any idess????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the RCO810 is the start device to start the compressor. The difference between the RCO810 and the original OEM start device is that the RCO810 has a start capacitor to help the compressor start up easier. This should never be needed if the compressor is working properly, but sometimes on older refrigerators, it helps the compressor run for a few more months or years giving you time to get a new refrigerator. That being said, you already have the new start kit installed so the problem is getting worse and the compressor itself will need to be replaced. If you look at the compressor label, it is likely a brand called "Tecumseh" which is known to have this problem. The replacement compressor is now an Embraco which doesn't tend to get this problem. Either way, you can order another RCO810 to be sure if you wanted, but most likely the compressor is going to need to be replaced. Doing an amp drawer on the compressor is not going to tell you if the compressor is going out or not. If the fan inside the freezer is still running the unit is trying to cool down but the freezer is getting warmer--this tells you that you have a bad compressor or start device and the start device is new and upgraded which means that you most likely have a bad compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick response. This is the second time I am typing this as the 1st response disappeared. Yes we do have a Tecumseh compressor. The compressor gets very hot to the touch, I can only touch for a few seconds before this burns. Is this a sign that the compressor is going out? Just in case I will try a new RCO810. I purchased one from Amazon, Supco URCO-810 for $15. Are all RCO810 devices the same? I am not sure how old the refrigerator is, we bought the house 2.5 years ago, however I have read that sometimes it is better to buy a new refrigerator instead of replacing a compressor, unless you have a subzero type unit (a similar refrigerator is nearly $3K with tax. Any opinions? What should a new compressor cost installed in the LA area??

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So yes, the compressor getting very hot is a sign the compressor is overheating from trying to turn on over and over. All RC0810 devices are the same it doesn't matter where you order it from. This refrigerator is expensive and not that old so I would still recommend repairing it as compared to replacing it, but a new compressor will usually cost about $550-600 to have replaced so it's not and expensive repair I'm afraid to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK last question. I had a LOT of lint build up before I cleaned it out. Could this have burt out the RCO810? Are there other electronic parts that could go out that would cause this problem?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are no other parts that would cause this problem. But the lint built up is usually what causes the compressor to heat up and begin to fail over time. If you unplug the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours and let the unit cool down often times the unit will start working again. But even if it works, it's likely just temporary and if the problem comes back, the compressor will still need to be replaced. The RCO810 wouldn't really be affected by the lint, just the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since the compressor works occassionally, temp goes from 38/0 up to 47/22 and then drops back down again, it sounds like the likely problem is the compressor. Sould I ask for a Embraco compressor, do not want this problem in 5 years. Just out of curiousity, I saw on the internet that you can check either for continuity or amps to comfim if there is a problem with the compressor. Is this not correct?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can't get a Tecumseh compressor anymore. The replacement is only an Embraco now so you don't need to ask for one, it will just come that way.

But no, testing amps and continuity will not tell you anything about your problem. The continuity and resistance will test good, and the amp draw will be 13 amps when the compressor tries to start up. Either way you need a new compressor.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.