Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a stand up deep freeze that I just turned on today after

I have a stand up deep freeze that I just turned on today after moving into my new apartment a few days ago... I just put something in it to freeze, and when I shut the door it started making a loud gurgling noise... I have no idea what it is or what I should do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the door, does the noise go away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When it first happened, I opened the door to look inside to see if I could see anything. The gurgling did seem to go away quite quick... When I closed it again, it made a few small gurgles and seems to have gone away (for now).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just opened the door again... no noise... closed it... gurgling... opened... went away... closed it... gurgled a small bit and then stopped...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So that gurgling noise is the heat exchanger where the freon comes through into the evaporator. When you move a refrigerator, often times refrigerator oil will work it's way to the top of the heat exchanger and start to bubble and pop. Sometimes this will go away after running for a few weeks, but other times the only way to fix the issue is to replace the heat exchanger which is a $400 repair or so and usually not worth repairing. It won't affect the function of the unit, but it is quite loud and annoying. Opening the door allows the heat exchanger to warm up from the warm air going in which is what stops the noise. That is why I asked if the noise goes away from opening the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway for me to wipe the refrigerator oil off the top of the heat exchanger?

If I understand you, eventually this problem may go away because the oil will make its way off of the top heat exchanger? Even if it does not go away on its own, it does not affect the function of the unit, even over a long period of time?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So there is no way to just clean the oil off. It's inside the cooling lines and you need a lot of specialty tools and torches as well as a license to work on the freon system.

But overall you are correct. Eventually the oill might push past the evaporator and the noise will go away on it's own. If not, it will continue to be noisy but won't affect the function of the unit even over a long period of time.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.