Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have an older GE Profile refrigerator model #tfx30prye ww

I have an older GE Profile refrigerator model #tfx30prye ww that is not defrosting. I need to know how to remove the back panel in the freezer so that I can test the heater and defrost thermostat. I'm thinking that there must be an easier way than it appears - as far as I can tell, the entire ice making assembly needs to be removed so that the rails can be remove so that the back panel can be removed. Is there an easier way?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to look the model number up please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, of course.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that Tom, In this model it should not be that tough, Take the food out of the freezer, Next remove the shelf's, Once the shelf's are out take the six screws out from the lower panel at the rear of inside the freezer. Once the screws are out pull the panel out, If it is frosted use a hair dryer to thaw the frost.

Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator, below the evaporator the defrost heater, disconnect the defrost heater then check it with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it reads open it will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you need the part number tom.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Once the shelf's are out take the six screws out from the lower panel at the rear of inside the freezer. Once the screws are out pull the panel out,"

Mike, there is not a "lower" panel. It is one panel period. and it is behind the rails that hold the baskets. I have taken some pictures and uploaded them to my picasa drop box album. The link is https://picasaweb.google.com/jfw1961/DropBox02?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLLavNL7uLu2swE&feat=directlink

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me a minute
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok tom first you will need to take out the rail either side, then take the panel out where you can see the vents.

graphic

Once the rails are out you should be able to remove the panel.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow!!! Too much work for just checking the heaters and defrost thermostat.

Anyway, almost there- can you please verify that I am checking the heaters for continuity correctly. I wanted to pull on connector to isolate the heater for a continuity check but, they appears to be some adhesive on them. However there is an access point below the connector. Can I check for continuity by placing my leads in those access points? I have a couple of pictures uploaded to the same place - The last picture shows the heater unfastened and the access hole at the bottom of the blue connector. The picture before that shows the heater attached. So, the question is can i make a continuity check by placing the leads in the holes of those blue connectors on the heater as shown in the last picture? Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Follow the wires for the heater to the top, you should see a wire harness, disconnect the wire harness then you should be able to test the heater, If not take the two screws out holding the heater in place, cut the shrink wrap plastic away from the heater with a blade or Stanley knife, pull the terminal off.

You will need to at least get one of the wires off in order to test it correctly.

graphic

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,