Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my son placed dripping wet clothes into my Fisher Paykel top

my son placed dripping wet clothes into my Fisher Paykel top load dryer and I found the dryer to be 1/3 full of wet clothes, had about 3 cups of water in the drum and will not power on. I am assuming the control panel is shot and needs replacement. I am letting the dryer dry out (like I do a cell phone dropped in water) so it might fix itself. Thoughts?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So these top load dryers definitely don't a cut out that will stop the interface from illuminating and working. That means that if letting the unit dry out doesn't work, then the weight inside the drum was likely too much and the motor pulled too much power. Make sure you're getting power to the dryer from your house and if so, your main relay control board would need to be replaced because the motor pulled too much power and shorted it out or water got out of the drum and dripped on something electrical shorting it out.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you re-phrase your first sentence, a word may have been omitted?

Sorry I meant to say that these top load dryers don't "HAVE" a cut out that would stop the interface from illuminating. In other words, there are no fuses or thermal cut outs or anything like that. So if the control panel won't illuminate, then you either have a shorted control board or the dryer isn't getting power from your house.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you using the words "board" and "panel" interchangeably? The power in the plug is live, I verified that. So I guess I wait a day to see if the unit drys out Is that what you would do?

Aye, control board and control panel is interchangeable. Your main power control board would need to be replaced if the dryer won't start working after 24 hours of drying out.