Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an electrolux fridge and it stopped making ice. I doesnt

I have an electrolux fridge and it stopped making ice. I doesn't seem like the supply hose is frozen. any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Is the ice maker cycling ? what position are the ejector fingers in ? 1 O'Clock 2 O'Clock 3 and so forth ? sorry just looked at the icemaker and its different theres no fingers

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
does it seem to be cycling ? can you pour some water into the molds and see if it freezes and ejects the ice ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not cycle i have not tried to fill the molds to see if they freeze it feels cold enough to freeze (i know that's not a technical answer but if it helps)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I see. what I would do first is get a thermometer and put it in the freezer to get a temp reading. the freezer has to be between 0-8 degrees for the ice maker to cycle. see if you can get a temp from the freezer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK i re-installed the housing and tray which only took about 5 mins after your last message and let it sit closed up since. The temp is only at 57 deg.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
open the freezer, is the fan running ? is there and frost on the back wall ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ice maker is not in the freezer it is up top in the fridge portion. Do you have a diagram of the specific machine we are talking about?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well it doesn't matter which section its in we need to find out why the refrigerator isn't cold enough so you need to check the freezer and see how cold it is. all the cold air comes from the freezer section. theres definitely something wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

According to the display on the fridge door the fridge is 38 and the freezer is -3 all of the food in the freezer is frozen solid and contents of the fridge are very cold as well. I put the thermometer in the fridge a few mins ago and it has dropped down to 44 and dropping so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other thoughts on why it wouldn't be working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello? are you still there?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..can you give me the serial number , and also is the ice cube mold have any orange color on it ? or is it silver in color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mold is silver/aluminum in color. the sn:4a03201603

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok , you have some of the new upgrades , to get into a diagnostic test ,can you hold the up buttons for both the fridge and freezer ,,till 48C comes up in the right hand window
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok now what? 1 and 44 came up when i held both buttons

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
it should only be in the right window 48c , make sure the icemaker is turned on , i dont think you are in diagnostics yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you get 1 in the left window and 40 c in the right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you bring up the 44c and leave it there for 10 mins or so, the fridge will start to beep and say power failure

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
you have the icemaker on and are pushing both up buttons/arrows on both settings , the left window should blank , can u try again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Again if i press both buttons 1 on the left and 44 on the right i can hit the + to go up to 48 then there is a 1 on the left and on/off comes up on the right. After about 10 mins the alarm sounds and it says power failure.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok ill opt out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This service sucks. you are the second guy today who could not help. At least you had the decentsy to let me know not like the other guy protech who just stopped responding. I really hope there is not a fee for this site. You better beleive i will be protesting the charge if there is.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
maybe we arent communicating , with both doors closed , icemaker on , with both thumbs press the up arrows or buttons of the frz and fridge displays ,keep them pressed in the whole time ,it should come up with a number ONLY in the right window ..if no there is a problem with the board ,are you willing to give it another try ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried several times with the same results. What is the next step?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
can you scroll up to test 64 c and press on /off or power and tell me what the right window says?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am out of the house now I will when I get home

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
sorry, ill need to know what the left window says
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I scroll up to 64c it says 80 in the left hand column

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m Michelle, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Michelle-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still would like help.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Michelle-Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If at all possible i would like to speak to randy 43 again he seemed to be the most knowledgeable.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok, if you go to test 63c and press on /off the mold should move back and forth.take the ice bucket out and you can watch it move ..if it just clunks there is a stripped shut off arm
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
after you do that test , go to 62c ,that test will take a few minutes ,it will either bring up a 1=pass or 2=fail in the left window .. let me know how those tests go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Test 63 does make the mold cycle. Test 62 if you just arrow from 63 to 62 and then let it sit it eventually sounds the alarm and notification for a power failure. If you go to test 62 and press on/off it shows 54 in the left window. But neither way gives me a 1 or 2 result.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
test 57 will have a fan running it will say on or off in the left window if you toggle the power button it should come on and off ,again with the bucket out you should hear the fan running ,let me know
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
test 62 , toggle down there and press on/off that is how you initiate the tests with the on /off power button
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
test 62 c does take a few minutes so if you initiate it , be patient
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan does cycle on and off. When I go to 62 press on/off button it reads 54 in the left for a few minutes and then it shows an F. For a few mins then the alarm and power failure indicator show up.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
on test 55c should be the water fill test , put a towel or bowl under the mold and toggle the power on /off to stop the water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My fridge skips over 55 c. it goes from 54 to 56 is there another way to try and turn on the water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I toggeled test56c from off to on and then 55c was there and it does turn the water fill on.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok so most of the important tests pass .. to be honest that fridge had a ton of problems with the icemaker , they made many versions of the icemaker kit , that 80 you got in the 64C test is the version of the icemaker board in the back of the fridge ,mounted to the back wall, that 80 is the worst board, they now make version 81 or 85 they are the latest and best board, all the other tests pass ,i would start with getting that board replaced , the manufacturer generally covers all these repairs if it is related to the icemaker ,because they know it was a design flaw , have you been in contact with their customer service ? i would call the 800 number in your manual ..they are well aware of the issues these fridges had
to get out of diagnostics you press and hold the right up button , it flashes and the alarm comes up
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your help

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
another thing they started to have issues with was that the small quick connects to the various components ,fan,eev valve ,heater etc ,all at the back of that icemaker ,that you cannot see until you remove that housing then the right hand side panel of that icemaker.. those connections were getting moisture inside them and starting to corrode , they recommende us techs to remove those qunnectors and put some die electric grease into any visible connection to attempt to stop moisture from deteriorating those connectors