Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi William, I ran across a post about a JennAir JDB1100AWS

Hi William,
I ran across a post about a JennAir JDB1100AWS dishwasher not draining properly. Mine is draining fine but isn't cleaning the dishes well. Recently it got a fair amount of sand in it from a beach toy. I took out all the insides and cleaned out the sand with a wet vac. That got rid of most of the sand but the dishes still aren't getting cleaned (e.g. milk in the bottom of a cup not getting cleaned out). Can you tell me where the filter is and how to remove it? Other than that, would you suggest trying to take the pump off and cleaning it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So lets do a quick test. Place 4 cups in the top rack of your dishwasher facing upwards (one in each corner) no other dishes. Start a cycle and wait 10 minutes. Open the door and are any of the glasses filling up with water? If not, then does the floor of the tub completely covered in water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All four glasses are filling up with water and the tub is completely covered in water after letting it run a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, I took the drain pump and tube off and cleaned them out. It didn't look like there was anything significant blocking it.

I found out which part is the filter pump. I've had it out twice and the only thing of note there is that one of the membranes appears to have separated from the casing.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, so that means you definitely are getting enough water, nothing is clogged, and the pump is producing enough pressure. It sounds like your dishwasher just needs to be cleaned out. There is no real filter on this unit. Below is a link to the only filter for this dishwasher which you can visibly see it's just plastic and no way to really get clogged.

CLICK HERE to see filter

Now what I would do is run an empty cycle through your dishwasher with a product called Dishwasher Magic which you can pick up at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, or Wal-Mart along with other larger hardware or department stores. Run a cycle through with this product and it will clean everything inside your dishwasher out including the water supply lines and such you can not access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have softened water and the inside of the dishwasher is as clean as a whistle except for the heating element. Also, I cleaned out the catch basin and the drain pump and drain line, so I know there isn't any residue in the washer. Do you have any other ideas?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is absolutely nothing else that can cause this problem unless the heating element is bad. If you have a multimeter, check the continuity through the heating element and if it's open replace it. Otherwise, the dishwasher is working just like it's supposed to and the dishwasher is not the problem so you can try to clean it, but other than that, it's getting enough water and has the pressure needed to clean so it's all working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to disconnect the heating element to check the continuity? Where should I touch the probes to check it?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes, you will need to pull the dishwasher out and tip it backwards so that you can see the 2 terminals connected to the heating element. Unplug the 2 wires going to the element and check continuity. If you don't have continuity through the 2 terminals, then replace the heating element.

Also, I want to mention that if you find nothing wrong with your dishwasher you likely have a detergent problem. So if the glasses get cloudy, you'll need to scrub them clean by hand with hot water and vinegar because the dishwasher can't get the film off the glasses once the film is baked and dried onto the glasses. That being said, this is actually a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Finish Power Boost" (blue bottle with a red cap) which you add to your detergent. In addition to that, be sure to use Jet Dry Turbo (not just normal Jet Dry) as your rinse agent. About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. Go to the two links below and you can learn more about the complaints people are having since this regulation went live. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently. Please ignore the advice about vinegar or baking soda in the links as those are home remedies that really don't work.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the continuity and it was OK. Thanks for the help. Now I know all about my dishwasher Smile.