Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

the freezer is iced up and has frost on the food.. it is a

the freezer is iced up and has frost on the food.. it is a new refrigerator..I have increased the temp in the freezer and it did not help
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Do you see frost above the vents inside the rear of the freezer behind the shelfs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago. and frost

Ok Lisa this means your defrost system has failed.

You will need to take the food out of the freezer and put it in a ice chest, next unplug the unit and take the drawer out of the freezer. Remove the panel on the inside rear of the freezer, Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator (looks like a radiator on a car), this is going to be caked with frost/ice, thaw the ice/frost with a hair dryer. Once you have done this you will see the defrost heater looped below the evaporator. Test the heater with a ohm meter, If it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater tests good (reads continuity) then the defrost thermostat/sensor will need to be replaced. This is located clipped to the top corner of the evaporator.

Please feel free to come back after rating me "ok service or above" or for any additional questions or assistance that may be needed.

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service or above" so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.