Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Whirlpool dryer, LER5634AWO, advances through cycles, yet wont

Whirlpool dryer, LER5634AWO, advances through cycles, yet won't shut off. Dryer will shut off when door is opened. Will restart if start button pressed.

Pulled the timer and noticed the contacts were worn. Replaced the timer. Same problem. Dryer advances through all cycles, yet will not advance to off position and stop.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you turn the timer manually to the off position, will the dryer turn off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you try timed dry setting and see if it turns off on it's own?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is the setting we normally use and the one that I'm describing.

Ok then use the non timed dry setting and see if it advances to the end. You can set it as low as you like, just wait for 15-30 minutes and see if it turns off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not appear to be advancing in auto dry mode.

OK so, only two things can stop this dryer from advancing to the end in both timed dry and sensor dryer. That is your timer itself, or the resistor inside the control panel plugged into the timer. You've already replaced the timer, so you'll need to replace the resistor now. Below is a link to the part.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I want to test the resistor, normal test with ohm meter? Any reading and it is bad?

Yes, you just need to test resistance and it should be between 4050 ohms and 4950 ohms. If it happens to test good, then you'd need to replace the timer again.