Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool dryer, LER5634AWO, advances through cycles, yet wont

Whirlpool dryer, LER5634AWO, advances through cycles, yet won't shut off. Dryer will shut off when door is opened. Will restart if start button pressed.

Pulled the timer and noticed the contacts were worn. Replaced the timer. Same problem. Dryer advances through all cycles, yet will not advance to off position and stop.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you turn the timer manually to the off position, will the dryer turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Can you try timed dry setting and see if it turns off on it's own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the setting we normally use and the one that I'm describing.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok then use the non timed dry setting and see if it advances to the end. You can set it as low as you like, just wait for 15-30 minutes and see if it turns off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not appear to be advancing in auto dry mode.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so, only two things can stop this dryer from advancing to the end in both timed dry and sensor dryer. That is your timer itself, or the resistor inside the control panel plugged into the timer. You've already replaced the timer, so you'll need to replace the resistor now. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I want to test the resistor, normal test with ohm meter? Any reading and it is bad?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you just need to test resistance and it should be between 4050 ohms and 4950 ohms. If it happens to test good, then you'd need to replace the timer again.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.