Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

The LDS4811WW dishwasher seems to clean fine, but it doesnt

The LDS4811WW dishwasher seems to clean fine, but it doesn't dry. i read online this model doesn't have a typical drying system (there is no heater coil thing that I can see)...is there something wrong or what is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : yes that is correct. No heater to quicken the drying time. Usually the newer machines just use recycled hot air to aid in drying.
Jon : It is a common complaint about the drying time. Seems like it stays on one minute for hours.
Jon : I recommend using a rinse aid like jet dry to sped up the drying time. And even opening the dishwasher door after the wash cycle is complete. That will let some moisture out and dry Air in.
Jon : We can run some diagnostic checks to make sure your dishwasher is running normally if you like? Just get back to me here when you are ready and I'll show you what we can do.
Customer:

Here is what I found from the manufacturer.....so I guess the only thing to check is the duct and the fan...Can you tell me how to check those two items? I used to live in this house and it never bothered me, but the last two renters have complained a lot. From manufacturer: "Because the unit does not rely on a heating element for this process, it relies on the heat that is retained by the dishes during the wash and rinse cycle to turn the moisture in the tub into steam (humidity). Warm, moist air in the dishwasher is then pulled into a condensing duct in the door by a fan. The duct allows the hot, moist air to cool, which causes the steam to condense. This process is aided by room temperature air which is also drawn in to the duct and cools the air."
Rinse Aid is required to enhance dry performance of the unit. If no rinse aid is used, water will remain on the dishes and in the tub.

Jon :

hello again

Jon :

okay. so basically what the manufacturer is saying in the statement above that there is no heat or drying cycle for this particular dishwasher. That it uses the heat and steam from the hot dishes during its wash cycles to heat the moisture left over from wash cycle and will eventually evaporate. And the fan and duct inside the door, which usually doesnt have to be checked or cleaned or even maintained in any way, will aid in the drying time for the dishwasher.

Jon :

on your model dishwasher there is a small duct or air channel inside the door that will vent out any steam and let in clean dry air from outside the door.

Jon :

This duct doesnt ever need to be cleaned or checked. In my over 13 years of doing appliance repair i have never seen this duct jammed or blocked in any way.

Jon :

The only way that the air can be obstructed is if you have a piece of decorative molding directly under the door blocking the air flow. And even on the integrated models that use a cabinet face to match your other cabinetry, the duct and air flow from it never gets obstructed to the point where it will prolong the drying time.

Jon :

I would suggest using the rinse aid if you are not already, and if you are, make sure the rinse aid dispenser is set correctly and refill it. Then run about three empty wash cycles with no dishes. and just use white vinegar in the detergent cup of the dispnser. and use about 4 ounces of the vinegar.

Jon :

And set the dishwasher on the longest, hottest wash cycle, usually the sanitary or pots and pans cycle will do, and let it wash and complete its cycle. Then run this cycle two more times with same amount of vinegar each time. This will clean out your dishwasher and help in drying time. It will even help in washing the dishes too.

Jon :

After the three cycles run two empty cycles again on hottest wash cycle possible but this time use no vinegar just regular dish detergent.

Jon :

after this you can use the dishwasher as normal again making sure you are using the rinse aid and everything should be fine for you. If the dishes are still nto coming out dry enough for you then i suggest again, after the wash cycle and draining of the water in the cycle, opening the door and allow the dishes to air dry.

Jon :

If you have any other questions please get back to me here again and I will help you more. If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you need to get back to me again to ask other questions about this machine please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.