Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

KitchenAid KUDS30FX-SS dishwasher, purchased a couple years

KitchenAid KUDS30FX-SS dishwasher, purchased a couple years ago
Used to run for well over an hour (maybe 2 hours?), which I thought was really long but the washer worked great. Recently a guest in the house was concerned about how long it was running (we weren't home) so she turned it off mid-cycle. Ever since it only runs for about an hour, and often the items feel a little grimy, especially plastic items. Any ideas what happened and how to cure?
Rick

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you start this and let it fill for about 3 minutes then open the door and tell me how much water in inches is in the bottom ? does it reach the heater ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just started it, normal cycle. sounds like air coming out of a balloon so far, which I think is normal. after 30 seconds or so the motor kicked in, it's churning away. after 20 seconds or so the motor stopped for a few seconds, then started again. stopped and started a few more times within the next minute.

and the water level is up to the heater ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

after 3 minutes It was at about 1 inch. not sure where heater is.

the heater is number one on this diagram. its inside in the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, above the heater - still around 1 inch but clear of the heater.

okay. when you open the door fast is the water splashing strong ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

currently in wash cycle - when its idle (between 'pushes'), the water movement upon opening is minimal, but when it starts churning and I open it the water splashes and comes down from the top rack

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FURTHER NOTE- after being on for about 22 minutes it just stopped. don't think it ever got to the drying cycle, let alone finishing the wash cycle.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized kitchenaid and whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

First thing we need to do is reset the computer. to do so please cancel any current cycles the dishwasher is in by hitting the cancel button. If it is was currently in a cycle it will stop and go to a drain cycle. Let the dishwasher completely drain then stop. Now make sure no lights on the control board are lit or flashing. This is in stand by mode. Which just simply means there is power to the machine but no cycle lights are selected.
Once machine is in standby mode press the normal wash then heated dry buttons. and repeat that two more times.

So you should press the normal wash then heated dry then normal wash then heated dry then normal wash then heated dry. After the third time all the cycle lights will come on briefly signifying that you have entered diagnostic check mode. If you dont get that please let me know. Or if you dont have a normal wash or heated dry option on your control board.
If the dishwasher gets into diagnostic check mode great, just hit the start button once and let it start to fill for about a minute then just hit the cancel button. This will reset the control and should fix all your problems.

Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried the normal-heat 3 times process, twice, didn't work either time. Then tried again with the door shut (can just barely reach the buttons under the countertop), also didn't work. When I say didn't work I mean the lights didn't go on.

Sorry should have mentioned you can do the test sequence to get it into diagnostic check mode with door open or closed. Just need to make sure it is in stand by mode first. Which again is power to the machine but no water or lights selected on control panel.

And if your control panel has the normal wash and heated dry buttons press the normal first then let go and hit the heated dry then let go and do that three more times.

If the machine doesnt go into a diagnostic then that is part of the issue. The control board is bad and you need to replace it. Probably shorted out when your guests stopped the dishwasher mid cycle. Happens often.

But of the dish goes into diagnostics this time, then hit the start button then wait a minute and then cancel it out by hitting the cancel button. This will reset the control board. Then just try the dishwasher again like normal. And if it runs ok, all you need to do was reset the control board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't go into diagnostic mode this time either. just to confirm your suspicion the control board is bad - would it run at all if that was the case? It's been running, just with a very short wash cycle (20-30 minutes), then just drains and stops (used to un for over 2 hours I think).

Also - in terms of replacing it, is this a 'but it at the store and replace thing' I can do, or only a technician thing? Also, off the record, dollar wise, does it make sense to replace the control board or just replace the whole washer - i.e., what does the control board usually run?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

If the control board is not going into diagnostic check mode then yes, it is the reason for why it is failing. And yes, if the control board is bad, it to can let you wash briefly or in shorter cycles. And when it reaches the shorted cycles on the control board it will fail.

It happens often.

Let me check the pricing for you and determine if it is worth replacing the board or just the whole machine. And if you are handy and have some tools, then yes, you should be able to do the repair and replace the control board.
Rick,

The control board is about $200 and in my opinion would be worth it to replace. A new machine would cost about 3 times that. So if this machine is not that old then definitely replace it.

Below is a link to parts warehouse were you can order it. Just copy and click on the link below to open and view. Then order the part. They will send it out directly to you. When you get it just power off the machine then remove the top six screws from the inner door panel. the flip the top part of the door panel down to access the control. Remove the control board and swap with the new one. then just replace the wires one by one and close everything up again and you should be good to go.

http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2539490

Get back to me here if you have any issues and I will help you more.

Please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you still have more questions or have more questions at a later time, please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need more help or have any questions about ordering the parts and installing them, please feel free to get back to me here at any time, and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jon:

Thanks for your help. Next step is going to KA for warranty claim. Says in yrs. 2-5 the control board is covered. We'll see. $200 is a big bill for a 2.5yr old appliance.

Rick

You are very welcome. If KitchenAid covers the cost of repair great. Then definitely call them and set up a service call and they will take care of everything.

Please get back to me here again at any time if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.