Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Fridge # XXXXX Serial# XXXXX MRGC27775

I have a Kenmore Fridge # XXXXX Serial# XXXXX MRGC27775 MFG Date 210.07
The indicator panel and lights are not working. The water dispenser is also not operating. The lights come on when the doors are opened. Is there any way I can fix this? I have tried unplugging the fridge but it made no difference.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you hear any fans or motors running at all or is everything 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hear what sounds like a fan or motor when I place my ear near the fridge.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. You can then see the big black round compressor. Touch the compressor and is it hot, warm, or room temperature? Also, is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor registers 159.4 degrees F with a meat thermometer and the fan seems to running. There is also a lot of lint collected over the vent holes in the back panel.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the unit is actually trying to cool. That means that the display control is just not functioning properly. Try to unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work, your display control board inside the door will need to be replaced. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unplugging did not work. The control panel is still not working. Is it okay to continue using the fridge in the meantime without the panel working or should I unplug it until the repair is complete? In other words would it damage the fridge further to keep it running?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it's continue to keep using the refrierator in the mean time, but it's hard to know how long it will work for. The refrigerator won't be damaged any further than it is now, but it's something you can't rely on either since the control could eventually just cut everything out and stop cooling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This fridge is about three years old is it likely to be still under warranty? And how difficult a repair would this be for a layperson?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The refrigerator wouldn't have any kind of warranty on it unless it had somethin gto do with the sealed system like the compressor or freon leak or something like that. Everything else just has a 1 year warranty. As for a layperson repairing this, if you're handy and work on cars and such, you likely won't have much difficulty. But if you're not all that handy, it probably something you'd want to call a technician out for to repair.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.