Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My goldstar microwaveoven model#m1161rv doesnt do anything

My goldstar microwaveoven model#m1161rv doesnt do anything!
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Does the control panel look dead like there is no power?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything is dead

Is this a over the range vent and micro model Bob or is it a countertop model?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Over the range!

Ok Bob thanks for that, the problem here is going to be the internal fuse has blown.

Take the grill/vent out that runs across the top of the door (pull the power cord first) once out you will see the screw that holds the control panel in place, drop the control panel out then grab a flash light and look inside the aperture, somewhere near where the cord comes in there will be a replaceable fuse. Pull it out and purchase a new one from lowes or home depot, Once the fuse has been replaced put the unit back together then plug her in, You should be all set.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to lowes got fuses clockworks but soon as I try the power it runs for about three seconds and quits!

Ok in this case you have a more serious problem Bob

The problem here is either going to be the magnetron, High voltage capacitor, High voltage diode or the door switch. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $229 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)