Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

hi i have a ge artica model psc23pssd ss the evaporator in

hi i have a ge artica model psc23pssd ss the evaporator in refridgerator freezes over blocking vents and eventually causes noise as evaporator fan turns. I have replaced the heater and thermostat in freezer compartment but after 2 weeks the freezing up happened again... replaced main board and i see the freezing is again a problem but also noticed that now the inside temperature readings are not staying correct.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Does the temperature in the freezer change from the set point? Or does it revert back to the number that was there before you pushed a button after a few seconds?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It reverts. says 4* and 44* in refridgerator and not 37 as it is set.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jeff, the temperature control will revert to the actual temperature after you set the control to the set point that you want it.

The reason it is too warm is because it is not defrosting you are correct about that. You have replaced all of the defrost parts but one. It has to be the bad part. Give me a few minutes to get a sheet for you and the instructions so you will have them to change the part uploaded.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The temperature read out was not a problem until i changed out board last week.No sure it that changes things.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The board does nothing with the defrost. I am fixing a sheet for that for you right now, that way you can repair that.

Jeff could you explain what your control did before that is different from what it is doing now please? If it is changing from the set point after you release the button to show the actual temperature that is normal.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont recall it reading anything different from expected temperature setting of...0* and 37*. I need to head to work but will follow on my phone.Thanks for help...

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Jeff, just about 3 more minutes, I made the sheet and it is starting to upload now.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Jeff you have replaced all of the parts that would have anything to do with the defrost except one part. That is the defrost thermistor. Attached below is a sheet to show you where it is and how to install it. It is attached to the top of the evaporator. That will take care of it. I believe the control is fine. Maybe there was something goofy going on with the other board, but that is normal operation. You should always be able to look and see what the real temperature is without pushing a button. That is normal.

CLICK HERE FOR THE SHEET

You may not be able to view the sheet over your phone. It is a .pdf file. Save the page and you can get it later when you get home.

Also there is a rating screen, I do not believe phones show that screen when it comes up. When you get home if you have questions please ask. If not could you please leave a rating for me?

Thank you for the opportunity,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that thermistor on the Refridgerator or freezer side?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
It is in the freezer Jeff, and I am glad you asked that question. There are 9 diagrams and I missed the fresh food coils. I am sorry I made a mistake. Please let me start again because if the freezer coils are not freezing up as well then my answer is incorrect.

Does your fresh food door close well or do you have to push it shut?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R you referring to Refridgerator door. Yes it seals well.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Jeff thank you, XXXXX XXXXX were to defrost those coils and over the next few days does the food freeze on the fresh food side?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No freeze problem on Refridgerator side.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay Jeff I was going over everything to see if I was missing something. I am not sure what is causing the problem I will relist your question for all techs. As soon as someone who has seen this problem they will reply.

Thank you for the opportunity and have a good day at work.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The evaporator freezes over after about 2 weeks but have not noticed any food freezing. That is when the fan starts rubbing against ice over . Thermistor was my next step. But admittedly wife and I are getting frustrated with living out of cooler every 2 weekends
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.
When you look at the evaporator after the freeze up , is the entire coil frozen equally ? has white frost from top to bottom or is it just the bottom portion that you see the ice and frost ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Refridgerator side was completely iced over. Freezer I am not sure since it had sat overnight defrosting...may have been heavier on bottom but can say for sure.
So your problem is the evaporator in the fresh food side of this refrigerator ? Not the freezer evaporator ?? You stated in your questions you replaced the defrost heater , but there is no defrost heater on the evap in the fresh food section only the freezer section . The fan in the freezer is not close enough to the evap to hit even if it froze up , but the one in the fresh food section is - so I.m confused as to which evaporator you're having a problem with - the one in the freezer or the one in the fresh food section ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both become frozen solid. Appears they r connected through center wall. The sound comes from Refridgerator side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was not clear
There are two evaporators as you know , but they SHOULD work independently. If just the freezer needs to be colder only the freezer evap receives refrigerant flow , if just the fresh food needs to be colder , only that evap SHOULD receive refrigerant flow . If both sides need to be colder , then both receive refrigerant . this is accomplished by aXXXXXvalve which directs the flow of the refrigerant from the compressor. The valve is located in back behind the cover across the entire lower part of the refrigerator , under where the mother board is located. See if that is working . This valve has 3 refrigerant lines to it ( one in and two out ) and a coil on top with a wire harness attached . To check it , unplug the fridge , wait 10 seconds and with your finger on top of this valve , plug back in and you should feel the valve rotating. If this happens the valve is working ( and the mother board is working ). If that is working I'd suspect the temperature control is not working . The evaporator in the fresh food side does not have a defrost heater because it should not need one. When the temp in the fresh food side is satisfied refrigerant flow is stopped to it and the temperature in the fresh food side gets above 32 degrees which is sufficient to let it defrost naturally as opposed to freezer side which never gets that warm and is why it needs a heater to defrost it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try when I get home. Thanks. Is the valve replaceable.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lets see if I understand you. It essentially is a control of frigerant issue either from valve, board(newly replaced) or sensor in Refridgerator side not telling valve to stop sending refridgerant?
The valve is replaceable - but not easily done - it must be brazed into the refrigerant lines, system evacuated, new drier installed , recharged. Would not expect the valve - there has just been no problems with it. The sensors - could be , but the only sensor I have ever seen fail is the one mounted to the top of the freezer evaporator. When this fails it lets the defrost elements stay on too long. Items in freezer will thaw and then refreeze , and that is not what is happening on your fridge. One other thing, you say you replaced the thermostat - are you referring to the thermostat that is mounted on the top of the freezer evaporator ? This part is mistaken for a typical defrost termination thermostat which opens the circuit at around 50 deg. On THIS fridge that thermostat is a safety cutout and does not open until it reaches 125 deg. If you used the correct part number for this part then you don't have to worry. The sensor ( thermistor ) mounted on top of the evaporator ( the one i previously mentioned ) is the part that tells the board to stop defrost. It does NOT initiate defrost - the main board does that , based on door openings , temperature in the freezer and how long since the last defrost and how long it took to defrost the previous time ( again the evap sensor told it to quit defrosting ) This is a complicated way to do it but it is all about energy savings now days and this refrigerator is a high efficiency one. But get back after you check the 3 way valve - let's try to rule out some things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will. It looks hard to change and beyond my skill level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The refridg side is continuing to increase in temp. I think because frost build up has continued to take over. Will defrost again this weekend
Did you mention the temperature readout is not working , or not working correctly ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said they were off from expected.
what is puzzling is that BOTH evaporators are freezing up. They work independently and it sounds like it IS reading the correct temps in both areas - or close. There is a way to see if the defrost heater in the freezer works - On the mother board there is a 3 pin connector - light blue color and it goes on the board marked Line Compr and Def . Remove this connector from the board and using a jumper wire ( 14 ga will work ) and insert so it jumps from the wire that went to Line to Def . Insert it in the connector itself , not on the board . You can then take a mirror and hold under the bottom of the back wall of the freezer - the heater should glow orange - will tell you if the heater and high limit cut out are working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Unplugged and plugged back in. Felt vibration in valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bottom 1/3 frozen over on freezer side. All of refridgerator evaporator frozen over blocking vents.
You say the bottom 1/3 of the freezer evap was frozen over. Go into detail about this - did the coil have hard ice on just the bottom 1/3 - not white frost but more like ice and the upper 2/3 nothing not even a little frost ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White frost only. Nothing in top 2/3

The coil should be uniformily covered with light hard frost, if it is NOT this is an indication the system is low on refrigerant charge. What are the first two letters of the serial number of your fridge ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AL

FYI. Defrosted completely last night. Pulled end in. Refrigerator read 78 degrees (. Appropriate). But freezer readout says 0 degrees and has not changed in last 2 hours while refrigerator has progressively cooled
For the freezer to be 0 deg. it can't be low on refrigerant, you must have observed the freezer coil soon after you defrosted it ( it didn't have time to completely chill ) Did you notice a sensor ( small white part , about the size of a 22 cal. shell ) mounted on the top of the evaporator in the fresh food side ? If memory serves there IS one there . Replace this sensor and the same thing on the freezer evaporator. The part number is XXXXX and the cheapest source is from www.pcappliancerepair.com There have been issues with the one on the fresh food evap especially and somewhat for the freezer evap. The one on the fresh food evap should not let that one get iced over like it's doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not see one on either but freezer one may be behind ice maker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know there is a thermistor in each compartment behind grate in wall.

Thanks for working so hard on this
go to www.repairclinic.com and put in the part number to see a good picture. They are mounted on TOP of the coils ( not behind the icemaker ) to replace cut old wires and splice with a blue wire nut and fill the nut with silicone caulk to prevent moisture from getting to connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will look again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There appears to be 2 white wires coming from back of Refridgerator to a flattened white sensory zip tied within Refridgerator evaporator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now after 6 hours feeezer display says 24 degrees when last hour it said 0 degrees and Refridgerator temp continues to drop as it cools from defrost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parts ordered. Will arrive Wednesday
OK get back after installing parts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help
Hopefully this will solve your problems
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for checking on. Parts delivered yesterday but will not have a chance to change out until Friday night or Saturday. I work 2 jobs. ...
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Completely different thermistor set up than in parts diagram online in Refridgerator evaporator. Has a metal heatsink type part zip tied to evaporator. Thermistor has 90 degree part that press fits into heat sink. Neither part is in parts diagram. Thermistor is same diameter so am using silicon to fixate thermistor I have into heat sink. Should work I hope.
Having a hard time trying to picture what you are describing , but the thermistor needs to contact the the evaporator, so don't "insulate " it from doing so. Are you saying the thermistor will not come out of the part holding it to the evaporator ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It came out. Heat sink is 2 in x 2 in aluminum that abuts or touches evaporator tubing. Pushed new thermistor into it like old one and siliconed it in aluminum at end but is not insulated from aluminum block
That should work
I receive service bulletins from GE and checking back there are no bulletins describing your symptoms so it is not a common problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this does not work. ..... Think I am done and will buy new one
OH don't give up yet- you have a lot of time andmoney invested . I can tell you there is no MAJOR part defective - the compressor and the refrigerant charge are good or you wouldn't get the symptoms and that is where MAJOR dollars kick in , and you have replaced the mother board all ready which is the next most expensive part. If this doesn't fix the problem I'll call GE tech line and see if they have any other suggestions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wish I could send you pictures of this stuff
People do but I don't know how to do it just never got very good using all the things you can do with a computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for silicone to firm up then will finish install in Refridgerator. Then the plug in
You replaced the sensor on the freezer evap - how did that coil look when you removed the back wall ( assuming the fridge had been running ) what did the frost pattern look like ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 1 week. Not much frost on it. More uniform than I described last weekend but I think it was because I uncovered immediately as opposed to after a night of defrosting
OK that sounds right. Hope you didn't throw away all the old parts from this fridge because they are probably good. When i get a fridge that freezes up like yours , the first thing I do is access the mother board and jump the connector to see if the heater works , if it does that rules out the heater and the safety defrost thermostat . So it is down to either the mother board or the thermistor . The thermistor can also be checked from the mother board - as the heater is warming the thermistor will change value - the warmer the temp the higher it's resistance - at room temperature about 5K ohms at 5 degrees - 36 K ohms , at 23 deg. - 21 k ohms . If the thermistor is responding that only leaves the mother board , so assuming these thermistors solve your problem that's all that has ever beenwrong so don't throw away the old parts - keep them for a spare.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kept mother board
How much did you pay for the board ,heater, and defrost thermostat - do you remember ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All installed... Initial freezer temp of 68. And fridgerator is 79
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
165 for motherboard....heater and thermostat was 35.00. Thermistors were 9$ each. Bought 3. Have 1 spare
OK let's give this a few days and see if fridge works correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an update. It has been 6 days and it appears that the evaporator on fridge side has no ice forming on it at this time. Generally it takes 2 weeks to frost over so I am cautiously optimistic .
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 weeks and no accumulated if. I call this fixed. Thanks for your help
Good - time to rate my answers - it's how i get paid
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician