Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

A refrigerator repair man just changed the Main Control Board

Customer Question

A refrigerator repair man just changed the Main Control Board and Thermostat Controller in My LG Model LBC22518WW. However, I cannot change the temperature of the Fridge or the Freezer. Random numbers keep lighting up on the display. Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Larry my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Press and hold express freezing and a freezer adjustment key for over 3 seconds. This may or may not work. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I only have a Fridge Adjustment button, Ice Plus button, and a Freezer Adjustment button.

Ice machine is not hooked up.

I held all combinations for over 3 seconds. Same result.

Larry

Expert:  Barry G. replied 8 months ago.
I don't know Larry, that was the only thing I could find in the manual. It did not specifically say anything about random numbers but it did say demo mode so I thought I would give it a shot. I will relist your question for all techs to respond to.

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Thanks. Both fridge and freezer don't seem to be getting cold but probably because of inability to set temp.

Let me know if other techs know the answer. I spent 450.00 on fridge repair and don't want to go too deep on this thing. Looking at LG reviews, I wont buy one again.

Larry

Expert:  Barry G. replied 8 months ago.
You are welcome, if I come across something I will jump back in. Someone will respond as soon as they think that they can help.

Thank you for the opportunity,
Barry
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

What numbers are coming up and are the numbers segmenting or fading in and out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Fridge numbers lit up now are 3,6,7. Freezer numbers lit are 3,7.

When I press Fridge temp Adjust button, the freezer numbers all go off and Fridge numbers lit are 3,4,6,7.

After pressing both fridge and freezer adjust buttons, the numbers revert back to 3,6,7(fridge) and 3,7(freezer).

The ice trays were filled last night and are not completely frozen this morning.

Larry

It seems that you may have a bad interface board, which board was replaced the one behind the unit or the interface board and did the issue happen right after he installed it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The board on back of the fridge was replaced. The problem happened immediately after he installed the new parts. What is the part required?

You have recieved a defective or wrong board in the back of the unit. either he put the wrong one in, very possible or it was a bad one. There is no programming required for those boards. He may have received the wrong one or used a bad one.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so I don't need to buy the display board? I talked with repair guy that installed the Main Control Board and he said the display board is bad and Main Control Board he installed is fine. I read the reviews on this guy and they are not good. Just want the damn fridge to work. He wants to sell me new display board. Already paid this prick $450.00 and now wants another $200.00 to come out and install display board. I only paid $1K for fridge 6 years ago.

The unit does not need a new display board as well. Could you adjust the temps before he changed the rear board?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes. I could adjust the temps before he worked on it. I think I may just order the Main Control Board from LG instead of bringing the guy back. Is there anyway LG would consider swapping the boards or am I screwed?

Thanks for your help. Good rating coming your way.

Order it from repair clinic and return the other one if it is the same.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well. I ordered and replaced the Main Control Board. Now, it seems to we are back to the initial problem of the freezer not keeping items frozen. I'm not a repair guy but it seems the like the compressor is running all the time. Any suggestions? Makes a noise for about 10 seconds when it starts.

Ok if the compressor is making noise for about ten seconds when it starts the compressor relay could be bad. Pull the back panel off and unplug the unit for a few minutes then plug it back in. Put your hand on the compressor and listen. See if the compressor hums for 10 seconds then clicks off and is quiet.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Did that. The compressor came on and remained on. Its not very warm. The small pipe connected to compressor and area of compressor by that connection is cold.

Ok if the compressor is running and stays running and the fans in the refrig and freezer are blowing and it is not getting cold there is a sealed system issue. You could have a leak in the system, which would be a major issue that you could not repair. You would have to call a repair tech in for that issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Last question. Samsung sent a repair guy to our house to replace a pump in our new washer. So I asked him to look at our fridge. This was after the initial fridge inspection but before the repairs were made. He said it needed Freon and came to our house the following weekend and installed a value and added some Freon. He attached something to wires attached to the compressor and mentioned the amps or volts were low. Does this change anything? The pipe attached to the compressor is frosty cold.

Given that information you have a sealed system problem for sure. Either the unit is still low on gas or there is an issue with the compressor not pumping gas. This is a bad problem and not something you will be able to repair on your own.