Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a Kennmore Dryer Model#76902690 and it is doing the

I have a Kennmore Dryer Model#76902690 and it is doing the following:

-shuts off when loaded, unloaded stays on
- When I turn the drum counter clockwise there is high resistance. Is thie normal?

Can you advise in which direction I should go next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..how old is the dryer ? is there any grinding noise when it starts ? when it is loaded does the motor just hum and cut out?

Customer:

Randy - Not sure how old the dryer is since we bought it used. There are no noises when it starts. When it is loaded it starts without any noises. It stops after about 30-45 sec. When I restart the dryer it does the same.

Randy 43 :

it just gets quiet ? no noises ? when you say it runs with no clothes ,is there any burning type noises?

Randy 43 :

sorry , i meant smells , burning smells

Customer:

The dryer stops normally, as if it was done with the cycle.

Randy 43 :

and you said it is hard to turn by hand? it should turn clockwise ..it takes a lot to turn by hand?

Customer:

Should I run it for a little bit unloaded, just to see if there are any smells

Customer:

clockwise, hang on let me check to see how it turns by hand

Randy 43 :

but it keeps running with no load ? yes if you can try that would be good

Customer:

When I turn it by hand there is some drag, not smooth and I can hear a slight squeeking sound

Customer:

I am running it right now with no load...

Randy 43 :

will it keep running ?

Customer:

Yes

Randy 43 :

as soon as you put wet clothes it stops?

Customer:

Drum Rollers maybe?

Customer:

yes it stops when I put clothes in the dryer

Customer:

How much drag should the drum have when I turn it by hand?

Randy 43 :

yes , either drum rollers or tight bearing on the motor , drum rollers can be lubricated and tested but if still a issue ,putting a motor in it may not be worth it any more if 8-10 yrs old

Randy 43 :

it should have slight drag m not that you really have to put a lot of effort into it

Customer:

I have to put slight effort into turning the drum...

Customer:

what should the drum rollers be lubed with?

Randy 43 :

super lube ,turbine oil , turn them by hand , it shouldnt be tight , they should turn pretty easy

Customer:

The drum does not turn very easy

Randy 43 :

if all rollers are ok and still tight? then the motor bearing are tight

Randy 43 :

they do wear down over time , if you take it apart and turn the motor pulley by hand ,it should turn pretty easy

Randy 43 :

check the blower for possibly something stuck in there? not to likely but just in case ,,

Customer:

I watched a youtube video on how to take the dryer apart, do I have to take off the back panel or can I do all from the front?

Randy 43 :

they come apart from the front , take the top up and the front panel comes off , just unplug or cut power

Randy 43 :

and be sure to check how the belt routes , they can be tricky at times

Customer:

Ok, if I save and exit, and come back will I you as the tech for more help

Randy 43 :

yes , you just respond to the same question at any time

Randy 43 :

just bookmark the question

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert