Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a 7-year old GE profile psc25sgsc refrigerator. It stoped

Customer Question

I have a 7-year old GE profile psc25sgsc refrigerator. It stoped cooling. I noticed that there are lots of ice build-up on the evaporator coil, the fan is not running and the light beside the fan won't turn on. Please advice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, Okay the frost of course is a defrost issue but it could also be a bad main control board. as far as the light goes you need to check the light switch.Light Switch WR23X10179      Main Product Viewdo you have a volt meter ? if you click this link it shows you how to check that . http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Light-Switch/WR23X10179/879792?modelNumber=PSC25SGSCSS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the main control board about 2years ago. what is that image? I do have a volt meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
that is the door switch. a volt meter or multimeter is used for testing that.can you get one ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
if the light doesn't come on and the fan doesn't run you need to replace the light switch in the freezer. its the one I showed you. its part number 609 on this diagram. you can order it at this link. its under $9.00, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Light-Switch/WR23X10179/879792?modelNumber=PSC25SGSCSS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive the situation I described about the switch? If you think that the switch still needs to be tested, do I take the switch out by just pulling on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I pressed the door switch, I can hear something was running, and the inside lights were out, but the fan close to the bottom was not running. When the door switch was not pressed, the lights on the top were on, not the light beside the fan. Does this situation mean that the door switch is working? I don't know what things are supposed to run when the door switch is pressed or not pressed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I knew it's late, now is 10:40pm. I just want to get some answers now since my fridge is not working.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you if you are still looking for some help tonight?

The door switch is working fine if you push it in while the door is opened and the light goes off, then when you let go of the switch the light comes on. The switch is not the cause for the excessive frost.

We will need to have you check the defrost components if you have the meter?

There is a set of heaters on the evaporator that need to be checked with continuity along with the defrost thermostat on the top of the evaporator coils. If you have a meter I can walk you through how to check those. This way we can be sure if those parts are failing causing the frost. Or if in deed it is the main board in back that has failed again. Which by the way, with GE machines, is a very common problem. Especially if your area is prone to power surges or outages.

If you are looking for a quick fix just to get your ref back running in normal condition we can have you take a hair dryer to the evaporator coils for about 20 minutes or so to defrost the excessive ice built up. And when that is defrosted you can put everything back together and the machine should run fine for another week or so.

Please get back to me here now if you would like some more help with machine and I will walk you through the next few steps so you can fix this machine quickly and cheaply.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. It's late, i will let it defrost by itself tonight. Is there a way to get back to you tomorrow morning to ask you to walk me through how to check things using a meter?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just get back to me here at this chat and I will see that you have logged back in and responded that you are ready and I will get back to you right away.

You can even bookmark this page to your favorites for quick access.

Please realize that I am on east coast time.

Have a good night. Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, now the ice all melted, i powered the fridge on. I saw that the condensor fan is running. When I pressed the door switch, the evaporator fan was not running, and the light besides it were not on, were they supposed to be on at this situation? I am just waiting to see if the fridge will cool down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I mistook the customcool fan as the evaporator fan. The evaporator fan IS working.

I noticed that the ice on the front evaporator coil melted, but the evaporator coils in the back are still covered with ice/frost.

Where can I find the defrost thermostat? what color is the wire for the thermostat?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
That's ok. Common mistake.

The def. thermostat is on top of the evaporator coils. It will be a small round bimetal with two wires going to it. Sometimes depending on how frozen the coils are, the def thermostat can be covered with ice.

So if you can locat the themostat, with power off to the ref, cut the wires to the thermostat about five inches from the thermostat and test the thermostat for continuity wih your meter.

If you have continuity then it is good. If not replace it.

You should also check the defrost heater at the bottom of The coil in the same way.

If both thermostat and heater are good then you have a bad main board.

These are the only parts in your machine that control the defrost cycle and would cause excessive frost or ice on the evaporator coils.

Run those checks and let me know what you find.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where does the other end of the defrost thermostat wire run into? Into the backwall of the fridge?

Do you mean that I have to literarally cut the wire?

What am I supposed to see on the meter when there is continuity? 0 reading?

How to test the continuity of the defrost heater?

excuse me for all these questions, not very handy in this things.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The wires for the thermostat run through the back of the ref. there should be a molded plug at the back wall of the ref where you will see it connects then goes through the wall of the cabinet.
Yes. Cut the wires, again with power off, and strip the wires back a bit from the side of the thermostat so you expose the wire for testing. Then put each lead from your meter to each spliced wire in the thermostat and test for continuity.

Now if you have a digital meter with a tone continuity, usually shows a wave next to an omega sign on the meter, then use that. When testing if you hear a beep or tone then that means there is continuity and the thermostat is good. I no tone then bad.

If you have an analogue meter then you set it to again the omega sign, continuity, and you meter should read 0. Which means the thermostat is good. If it reads any other number it is not good.

Now you can do the same test for the heater in the same way you test the thermostat except you don't have to cut the wiring. You should see in either side of the heater one wire that connects it. Just unplug the heater in either side and test there. Again to the heater side not to the wires.

I'll try to download a video here showin you how to do this but that may take a while. If you feel this is out of you ability to check the tstat and heater then let a service company do it. So this way you will know its done right.

My experience working on these machines it is either the tstat or the main board that is bad and needs to be replaced. The heater usually never fails.

Please get back to me here again if you have any other questions and I will continue helping you. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And again, if you have more questions after positively rating me, please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Below is he video.

Just click on and copy and paste the li k below to your browser to open.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdsBkO46dk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are great.

I have a meeting now, lasting several hours. I will try to follow your instructions and reply the results later.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. That's what I am here for.

Just get the thermostat when you get a chance and get back to me here and let me know what you find. If you end up needling parts I can get you parts info so you can order them cheaply and save money there as well.

Talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that the thermostat is attached to the back of evaporator coil, I can't see how it is attached, so I didn't use any force to pull on the wire. Luck for me, the thermostat wires are connected to the wire from the back of the fridge using wire nuts, so I disconnected the wires at the nuts, use my meter tested that way, but either no short sound, or some number jump up and down, I guess that the thermostat is bad? Since I could not take the thermostat out and put in the cold water to test it according to the video. Maybe I should test it again when the evaporator coid iced up again?

Anyhow, I would like to order a new thermostat just in case. What is the part number? I assume that I can just disconnect the broken thermostat and leave it there, and connect the new one and leave it on the top of the evaporator coil?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Again, not always. It depends on how loud your machine is. That is why I want you to bend down and look and check the tension. And while your down there check the voltage to th motor an you will know what is what.

If you can't do that or don't want to you will never know for sure why the machine is not running properly.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. That last response was suppose to go to another customer.

That is actually good and bad that the wires to the thermostat were already spliced. That means this as happened once before. And good that you could easily check the tstat.

If no continuity while it was stuck in ice then the tstat is bad and will need to be replaced. And before you replace it wih the cover to the coils off take a hair dryer and melt away all the ice. Puts some towels down in the freezer section to collect the water.

You can get the part by copying the link below to your browser to open. Then just order the part from then and they will ship it out to you.

http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=637365

Just copy that link.
If you have any problems just get back to me here and I'll help you again.

Please remember rate me positively

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the ice had already been melted when I tested the themostat. So I guess I need to test it again when the evaporator coil is iced up again.

To change the new one, I assume that I can just disconnect the broken thermostat and leave it there since it's somehow tied in the back of the coil, and connect the new one and leave it on the top of the evaporator coil?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you still have the tstat out you can stick it in a cup if ice water for ten mins to let it cool. Then check it. This way you don't need to wait two hours or so for the evap coils to cool.

Yes. For installation just use the wire nuts to connect the new one and attach it to the top right side of the coils.

If you run into any trouble get back to me here and I will help you more.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need any other help please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.