Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

stator and rotor - do these parts generally wear out or wa

Customer Question

stator and rotor - do these parts generally wear out or warp?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Yes the stator can crack..Look around the center for hairline breaks..If not the you have a worn tub bearing or tub support which makes the shaft rotate off center...Also makes sure the stator and housing are free of debris buildup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Yes there are 4 small cracks towards the center of the stator. Should stator and rotor be changed together? These two parts seem to be a precise match so maybe the cracks in the stator made it slightly out of round? Also hear like a chatter when it began its spin cycle. Could that binding during spin cycle cause tub to become unbalanced?

If you can repost your model number with spaces between the digits..I will take a closer look at your problem for you..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenmore 1 1 0. 2 7 0 4 2 6 0 3

Good model number Joe thanks..This washer is a very difficult washer to correct this problem without spending allot of money on parts....Due to the fact that there are a few components involved which can cause this problem.The spin cycle is monitored by the washers computer..Through the rps sensor #20..It monitors the rotation of the shaft..Allot of times it can break off or flat out fail..Which will cause a scraping sound or loss of smooth rotation..The tub suspension can have a effect on smooth rotation also..First make sure the suspension is well lubricate at the top cups in which the nylon part of the suspension sits in all four corners of the cabinet...Also on this washer I would replace the washer before replacing the rotor and housing..If the washer was under warranty,it would be a different story..
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you got my last reply?

No Joe never received your reply..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't want to overstay my welcome so I'll try to be brief. Do you think it might be worth replacing suspension springs and hardware (about $45) and see if that might solve problem. They do seem kind of loose. As far as sensor goes, there were no broken parts or the like inside the washer and as I mentioned, the tub spins very smoothly with no play when I remove the rotor. I located genuine Kenmore stator and rotor for $93 ea. through a contact. Your final thoughts are greatly appreciated

Not a problem at all Joe..If you are going to do the repair i would first grease the cups of the suspension..Then replace the Rotor kit..That way if the scrapping does not go away You will not be out the $45.00.For the suspension..This is such a unpredictable washer..There was a time when i had to replace the computer..The sensor ..The rotor assembly and suspension on a customers washer for repair and still did not fix the tub spinning out of balance problem...Thanks Bob