Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We have a Kenmore built-in dishwasher, model No. 363.14572000.

We have a Kenmore built-in dishwasher, model No. 363.14572000. It receives power, will fill with some water, but will not run any cycle. A "Delay" light next to the knob comes on, but that's all. The motor sounds like it tries to start with a sort of "clunk" but can't seem to kick in, and whatever water comes in does not drain. Circuit breaker has been checked. The buttons this washer has are, from left to right: Pots Pans, Normal Wash, Water Miser, Heated PreSoak, Water Heat, No Heat Dry, Reset Options.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Try hitting the delay button several times to take the unit off delay time, if that does not work get back to me :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no Delay button, just a red light labeled Delay

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok kelly give me a moment to look up that model number please.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok kelly thanks for that, Does the delay light stay on if you set the dial to the off position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it only goes on once you turn the dial past Start, then goes back off.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok, The only problem this can really be is bad contacts on the timer, This will need to be replaced Kelly. To do this open the door and take the screws out around the inner liner behind the control panel, lift the control panel out, you should now be able to install the new timer (few screws and swapping wires from old to new timer)

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating Kelly, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ouch! Before we get a new timer, is there ANY other possibility, such as something blocking the motor or pump? And if it's the timer, will the part come with instructions for replacing it, or can you offer a step by step to make sure we get it right?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I cant think of any thing else, The delay light is only supposed to come on when you turn the timer to delay start, If this comes on during the normal cycle then the timer is basically saying the diswasher is stuck in the delay cycle.

It's pretty easy to instal the timer, It normally does come with instructions, if you follow the intruction in my previous post you wont go wrong :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm confused I think . . . Right now the dial is sitting on Off, and when we move toward Start--through the various Delay Wash settings--the Delay light comes on, but as soon as we get to Start the Delay light goes off and stays off until the dial gets back past Off. As we spin the dial past Start, the dishwasher seems to be trying to start, filling with water, but almost immediately shuts off.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok I guess I was confused, Thought you were saying the delay light stays on after you hit the start point.

So once we get to the start the washer will not fill, sounds like it's trying to fill (buzz noise) but wont start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, from Start, we turn it to Light Wash (the setting we normally use), and it fills and then . . . nothing. Normally it'd fill, there'd be a small delay and then they cycle would kick in. But now we turn to the chosen cycle, it fills, and then nothing happens. There's no buzz, just a series of light clicks spread about 30 seconds apart. We just tried it and waited 3 minutes and there was nothing but the clicks after we reach Light Wash. After that we turned the dial through Rinse and Hold, it made another single clunk but nothing else. After that comes Off.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes that's the timer with bad contacts then, it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks so much for working with us. Expensive but easy, right? The whole timer needs to be replaced, right, or is there some separate piece within that can be replaced, such as the contacts only, or a fuse, etc? Also, is there any way to clean the contacts (I've used a pencil eraser on battery contacts and it worked well--just wondering :)

Also, do we need a VOM to replace or test the old or new timer?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The timer is only sold as one part, if you click the link in my previous post you can order the timer, doubt if anyone will have this part in stock since it's a older part.

You really just cant get into the timer to clean the contacts, they will normally be burned anyway.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Mike. It's good to have it narrowed down so well. We'll order that timer today and hopefully it'll all go fine from here on. We'll post your rating, too . . . nice job!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Thanks :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.