Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

GE Dryer just hums, when door closed and plugged in. Have to

GE Dryer just hums, when door closed and plugged in. Have to unplug to for it not to hum. Get a faint burning smell when plugged in and unit is humming
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Does the drum spin easily by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does it spin at all by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes but it seems to drag

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Open the door, while holding the door switch closed, try spinning and pressing the start button at the same time, you may need to put a piece of tape over the switch unless you have someone to help you ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try this later got to run for now thanks

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When holding down the switch helping the dryer start to spin it will then spin on it's own. When I stop the dryer it needs help again to spin.

And with all this action I do not have to press the what I call the safety run knob on the control panel the will run as long as the timer dial is not in the off position

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
You have a bad motor on the unit., you will need to replace it, you can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your unit.

You can click on the following link to order a replacement motor for the unit..

Click Here

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I tried to look up the part online @ the address you gave me and other places no matches where found. As a side note this really does not surprise me. The dryer was in the house when we brought it and that was in 2002. Earlier today I called GE to see when the dryer was manufactured. I gave them the model and serial number and they came up with spring of 2001 as a mft. date. From other info on the dryer it was purchased at a store that went out of business in 1998. The model number is XXXXX 2650 BGL WH. Can you find any thing? Smile

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing, which makes it hard to say replace it with this or that.. It may be time to buy a new dryer....Cry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Point taken. I was mistaken about the model number after finding the manual. The part is $150. Could there also be an issue with the start switch on the panel? Since I do not have to push it to make the dryer run. Prior to this issue it worked as designed every time you opened the door one needed to reactivate the switch to start the dryer. Smile

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The start switch is only a momentary switch that gets the motor going until the centrifical switch kicks in, it is the swtich inside the motor that is causing this problem...

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chas I was talking to you befoe about My GE dryer. Since I realy have nothing to loose by trying to replace the motor I am trying.

I have reached a sticking point of disconecting the motor from the blower.

I have removed the spring clip from the belt side of the motor and the belt that end is now free.

I have removed the nut that holds a retaining clip to shaft @ the blower blade side of the motor what is next? The motor wiggles but that all.

Optional Information:
Brand: hot point
Type of Appliance: Dryer
Model Number: dbl2650b gl
What have you tried so far?: The back of the motor is free not part that attaches to the blower

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
There should be 2 clips holding the motor, did you get both?