Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Refrigerator (freezer) M-EB9SHKXVQ02 S/N-K00566794 Hello -

Refrigerator (freezer) M-EB9SHKXVQ02 S/N-K00566794
Hello - my freezer started developing a sheet of ice on bottom. The ice sheet continued to grow untill I defrosted it and removed the ice. This was two weeks ago. I checked it the other day and an ice sheet had developed again. Do you think there is problem with the defrost mechanism? Wally
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hello, this is on the floor of the freezer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

The problem here is the defrost drain is blocked, In order to fix this problem remove the shelfs/drawer from the freezer, Next remove the lower panel in the rear. Behind this panel you will see the evaporator (looks like a car radiator) below this you will see the defrost drain pan.

Use a hair dryer to melt the ice you will see in the drain pan. Mop the water up you will then see the defrost drain. Pour hot water into the drain pan, leave the water for a few minutes then mop it up, Repeat this several times until you see the water drain away.

At this point you will be all set and can button the unit back up :)

I would like to earn your highest rating Wally, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you - will check it out! :)

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome Wally :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Mike - I'm unable to take the back of my freezer off because of the fan housing (top center). I don't want to break it and don't see how its secured (I can pull it back about a inch). wALLY

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Yes this one is not easy Wally, You would need to grab a screwdriver, next just inside the grill of the vent in the middle is a tab that needs to be levered in order to release the grill in the center, Once that is out then the sensor cover needs to come out to the right, press the little tab on the side then feed the sensor into the rear, the same needs to be done with the ice maker harness to the right.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We do not have the ice maker installed. Its just the fan housing that needs to be removed.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok but you will still need to remove the ice maker harness/cover to the top left, the vent in the middle and the sensor cover on the right, all of which have a tab that needs to be pressed in order to release them. The vent in the middle is the hardest one to find, if you look in the grill to the bottom left you should see the tab, slide a screw driver in, lever the tab while pulling on the vent.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions :)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

will do sir!

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Mike - I took care of the freezer on Sat. The area under the drain pan does not drain (even though I thawed everything out). But there is NO ice sheet as of this morning (72 hours). I have a new ticket = whirlpool dryer - let me know if I need to open a new ticket? Thanks Wally

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately I can only answer one question here, you would need to open a new question, if you would like me to work with you on it you can request me by clicking on my name.

Thanks Wally
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thats fine - I would like to know if things sound normal after reading my latest on the freezer.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Sounds like it may have cleared, if the water starts to run again repeat the steps only this time get a flexible curtain wire and shove it down the hole to clear whatever is blocking it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok sounds good -

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Thanks wally