Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Can an Amana be repaired if there is a wire broken in the sealed

Can an Amana be repaired if there is a wire broken in the sealed part of the refrigerator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Do you know exactly which parts he replaced..If ice was building up then you do not have a problem with the sealed unit..If the unit was warm then yes it would be a sealed system problem..But would need to know which parts he replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to call Mr. Appliance tomorrow am. I cannot find the receipt from them that listed the 3 parts. I should say that the refrigerator is warming at the same time there is ice build up on the back wall of the freezer. When you said "if the unit is warming up" do you mean the refrigerator or both refrigerator and freezer?

Yes the ice buildup will cause the fridge to warm..The freezer cools the fridge via fan motor in freezer..The fridge does not have its own cooling source it is cooled by the freezer..When the ice buildups on the back wall of the freezer you will then have no circulation through the coils which are mounted behind that inner back wall in the freezer..The ice build up is just a sign that the inside coils are frozen up..Which means the freezer fan can no longer blow air through the coils and into the fridge..The freezer will stay somewhat cold ..But not the fridge because air is not flowing through..Buildup of frost on the back wall is a sign of a defrost problem..If you were to unplug the fridge..Let the frost thaw inside that back wall over night..When you plug it back in ..The fridge will work as normal until you start seeing the frost again...Same as the fridge of older days..Every so often the fridge was unplugged to defrost the freezer coils..Nowadays a electronic heater is used so that you do not have to go through the inconvenience of unplugging the fridge for a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ice formed again in the time after the service man left. So does that mean there is a wire problem in the sealed unit or do you think there is hope that there is something else wrong?

Nothing to do with the sealed system..I has to do with the defrost circuit..There is a Defrost heater..A defrost thermostat...And a defrost control Which controls the defrost cycle..If you have frost..Then that means the sealed system is working..Your fridge is not defrosting as normal..
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair