Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

I have an older automatic ice maker that just mounts to the

I have an older automatic ice maker that just mounts to the side wall of the freezer. It hasn't been used in a few years because we didn't have a water hookup. I finally ran a water line to it and it started working fine. After 3 days, it has stopped. I have checked the supply line, and that is running fine to the valve. The tube from the valve to the ice maker is clear. The actual mechanism that turns to dump the ice is working. How can I troubleshoot to see if I only need a valve or the ice maker itself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Francis :

Hello, Can you feel if you have ice in your ice maker tray? or is it empty?

Francis :

If it is empty, then try to manually put some water on the ice maker tray and observe if it will become ice and if the ice maker will dump the ice made. Empty the ice bin first so that you would know if the ice has been dumped after a few hours.

Francis :

Take note also now, what is the position of the moving fork. It should be at a 2 o clock position. If it is inside the tray, then the motor could have stopped or could have been the damage part.

Francis :

if you are electrically inclined, you can try to follow these troubleshooting guide for older type ice makers.

Francis :

Full Size Image

Francis :

Hello Slyder....are you here now?

Customer:

The tray is empty because it will not fill. It will freeze, but it doesn't fill, Hence the reason I asked how to figure out if it is the actual ice maker that isn't working or the valve. The mechanism works, I have tried it. I don't have those holes to cross the wire to.

Francis :

Thank you for those info. If it will not fill, that could be a broken water solenoid valve or the ice maker is not triggering the water valve. Try to manually fill the tray with water, then we would know if it will harvest the ice and it will just don't fill with water, then the water solenoid is the problem.

Francis :

But if it will not harvest the ice, then the ice maker is the problem.

Customer:

Thanks

Francis :

Let me know what happened.

Customer:

Okay, so I filled the ice maker by hand. It did harvest the ice, so that means I have to replace just the solenoid?

Francis :

That would be a possibility. But if you can hot wire the solenoid, then it would tell us that the ice maker is still not triggering the water solenoid even though it is harvesting. Remove the socket of wires attached to the ice maker solenoid and attache a set of wire with the end that you can plug to an outlet. Then test if the water would flow and the solenoid would energize. If it did, then there is no problem with the solenoid and the problem is still in the ice maker. If it does not, then it is the solenoid. I will log back again after a few hours. I am sorry, I just peep in to see if you answered back. I am still at work.

Customer:

Francis, I plugged in a cord and touched the bare ends to the prongs on the solenoid. It sparked a little but the solenoid didn't open. So, that would mean the solenoid is the problem, right?

Francis :

Yes. That would be correct.

Customer:

Thank you!

Francis : You are very much welcome. Thank you too or using this service.
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .