Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

The oven in My GE range will not shut off. Both top and bottom

The oven in My GE range will not shut off. Both top and bottom elements work, but the bottom element had a hot spot on it and that's the element that won't shut off. I have shut down the breaker.

Question - if I replace the lower/bake element, will I still have the problem, or is it possible that the defective element could be the cause?

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..if you turn the breaker back on will it continue to heat ?

Customer: Yes
Randy 43 :

if it continues to heat ,then no replacing the element will not fix the problem ,the problem is in the thermostat , the contacts are fused together ..the element just gets its power from the thermostat

Randy 43 :

Oven Thermostat - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this is the defective part

Customer: I was afraid of that. They cost to replace the thermostat will probably make it wise for me to just buy a new one.
Randy 43 :

that is a pretty old oven , im sorry , but i dont wanna steer you in the wrong direction . element wont fix the issue

Customer: Ok, makes my decision more expensive. But far better than paying a service guy To come to my house and tell me the same thing.
Randy 43 :

thats true , they charge atleast $100 ..good luck