Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

I have a brand new Kitchen Aid Architect Series II Gas Range.

I have a brand new Kitchen Aid Architect Series II Gas Range. When we turned it on, and put in two oven thermometers, we noticed that the temperature it shows is 90 degrees less that what the two oven thermometers showed (i.e., the range showed a temperature of 350 degrees, but both thermometers showed 260. The manual for the range says that its temperature is always accurate and never to use a thermometer to check it. (Manual, p. 13, column 2 -- no joke.) Obviously, something is amiss here. Is there something I can do to fix this -- or do I need a service call.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 33 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 50,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.

When you tested the temperature had the oven been ON and at that temperature for 30 minutes or more?

And the testing thermometers were they the inexpensive ones that you buy in the grocery store for less the $15.00?

I ask this because my oven tester is almost $300.00 and those inexpensive ones are NEVER EVER even close!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Woody,

We used two fairly inexpensive thermometers, both of which indicated that the temperature was 90 degrees less than the temperature the oven stated. However, the cookies we were trying to bake did not bake properly at the prescribed temperature, which leads me to believe that the oven temperature is seriously wrong.

ok If the temperature was off by less then 30 it could be calibrated .

Anything over 30 degrees you will have to replace the electronic control board

CLICK HERE for parts link and price and you can order the part right from the link also

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's brand new, so I assume a service call is warranted, so that Whirlpool can replace the control board. Are you sure that's the right part, in case the person they send has no idea what he's doing? (That has, alas, been my experience with Whirlpool refrigerator warranty repair people.)

Yes that is the main control board , when you call ask them to bring the part with them to save you time .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, we just had the service call and -- to our surprise, the average of the up and down cycles was off by only 4 degrees. The repair person did say not to rely on the quick preheat feature of the oven -- that regardless of what it says, you should wait 15-20 minutes to start your baking. Maybe that was why our cookies didn't come out right.

I tend to tell my customers 17-20 min .

So he is correct.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

I had another question about this Kitchen Aid gas range. I have noticed that when it's on Bake, the fan goes on immediately and stays on the whole time. It sounds exactly like it does when it's on convection. So I'm wondering if something is wrong -- I thought the special feature of convection is that the fan runs? Or is this normal? I can't remember if it always did this or if this is new. Could a wire have gotten crossed or something else happened?

This unit has two fans the convection fan in the rear center of the oven .

But since the controls are right in front and above the oven door opening it also has a cooling fan that comes on and keeps the control boards from getting too hot!

It should also after the oven is turned off this cooling fan will run for quite awhile even after the oven is turned off .

The amount of time that is runs depends upon the heat and time the oven was cooking for ,mine will run somtimes 20-30 min .

We can eat the entire meal and it will still be running!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear the range is working ok!

Glad to assist you ,Have a Safe and Happy New Year!!