Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

when I press the start button on my dishwasher it wont st

when I press the start button on my dishwasher it won't start

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..can i get the model number ? is it only the start button that doesnt work? do the other buttons illuminate ? thx

Customer:

Hi Randy. Model #MDBH949AWW2. Yes, it's just the start button that won't come on.

Randy 43 :

can you cancel the program ?

Customer:

I'm just getting my husband to press cancel. No light comes on when he does that.

Randy 43 :

ok , so if you scroll thru the functions normal,heavy wash etc the lites all work for those functions ? is the door latching ok? the start button is it blinking? or no lite there? thx

Customer:

OK, rinse only light, delayed hours light do not come on. The rest do. The start button does not come on at all.

Randy 43 :

was this a gradual thing or did it happen right away out of the blue ?sorry for all the questions

Customer:

Happened just now. The machine has been a dream. We just got back yesterday from being away for 4 days, I filled it up after lunch, put the soap in, pressed light wash and then start and...nothing.

Randy 43 :

ok , if you havent already turn it off at the breaker for atleast 5-10 minutes let the board reset ,insure that it latches ok if still a problem and you are not getting any lites coming up on the touchpad for start , you can turn off again and check the ribbon connector at the back of the control panel ,make sure it is inserted into the main baord , if all that looks good and still wont respond you would need the control panel replaced

Randy 43 :

Touchpad and Control Panel W10254849       Alternate Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this is the back of the control panel ,see the ribbon? it plugs into the main control board

Randy 43 :

it can be accessed by removing the screws around the inner door panel and control panel

Customer:

We'll give this a try. How do we get into the control panel if this doesn't work? Rob has just turned off the power. I guess we need to wait for the 5 or so minutes. Do you just wait as well or is this it? Rob is going to try the power again.

Randy 43 :

yes im online for awhile ,no problem to get into the control panel you take the screws off around the edge of the control panel ,that screw in from around the inner door panel when the door is opened

Customer:

We're going to try it again now to see if the light will come on. I sent you a message but it didn't go through. So, after 5 or so the light still doesn't come on. How do we get to the control panel? Should we call an electrician? It's Saturday and we have company coming for dinner?

Randy 43 :

screws around the inner panel ,if you remove those then the control panel will come off

Randy 43 :

inner and outer panel are screwed together

Customer:

Hi Randy. We don't feel really comfortable in messing with the panel. (We're not really mechanically inclined.) I'll ask my son-in-law to look at it tonight. Rob just phoned a couple of people. One says they can come by Wednesday...argggg. Thanks for your help.