Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Is there anyway to install a downdraft vent system with a slide-in

Is there anyway to install a downdraft vent system with a slide-in range or wall oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 11 months ago.

Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Slide in range yes..Wall ovens most often have space clearance issues..CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION...Scroll down for the various options..There are also updraft options for the slide in models..Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Thank you for your response. The link you provided was to a Jenn-Air range/ vent system.

Are there any other options. Is it possible to put a normal slide-in range with a separate downdraft vent system? E.g., with vent motor facing away from the range.

Thanks,

Ross

Which model are we dealing with..There are kits that you can purchase that can be mounted back..sides etc....If you are looking to mount the blower remotely you will need to run ductwork...Yes it can be done but with a custom install.
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am trying to install a Frigidaire 30" slide-in Gas Range Model #FPGS3085KF) with a Maytag 30" Retractable Downdraft System Model #UXD8630DYS. However the Maytag manual seems to imply that the downdraft vent needs at least a few inches of clearance in the front of it - even if the blower / motor is installed on the back.

Everything that I've read or looked at shows a downdraft vent system installed with a cooktop not a stove. So before I go spend a lot of money on the downdraft system I really want to make sure I'll be able to install it with my stove.

Thanks,

Ross

It depends upon your cabinet space..Like I said it will be a custom installation..What you will need to do is compare measurements from the specs of the Maytag unit..CLICK HERE FOR SPECS.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't think this is really a question about space. This will be installed on an island. my question is whether the two items can be installed together as I haven't seen any pictures where they are - the Maytag instructions always have the Maytag installed with a cooktop not a range. So, for example, I am wondering whether the downdraft needs space / clearance in front of it for some reason. Or what if the back of the range gets hot - won't that be an issue if it's touching the downdraft vent?

The heat will not be a factor..The problem you might have is the bulky ness of the motor assembly..it is encased in metal and can be installed with the motor in front of the downdraft or the back..This is where the clearance comes into play..most likely you will have to install with the motor at the back of the unit..Which means you will need cabinet space in that area..meaning a deeper cabinet/island etc...Normally the downdraft is used for a drop in where you have the space underneath the cabinet..Which is where the motor sits and drafts directly down into the floor and out the vent.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok. They Maytag instructions also seem to imply that the downdraft needs a few inches of clearance in front of it (possibly up to 4"). We would like to install the downdraft directly in back of the range so that the two will most likely be touching / in contact. We have enough room in the back to put the motor and drill the hole for the vent duct work.

So can we install the two items so that they are so close as to be touching? Thx

That is why you need to look at the specs and figure out what clearance you do have..As far as heat you will be ok..If you have the room sounds like you are on the right track.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Your question is concerned with clearance between the downdraft and the stove..The answer is you will not have a problem with the heat created by the stove..The downdraft is encased in metal..The stove is also encased in metal with insulation..It will not be a problem..If you have the clearance for the motor.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It's obviously difficult to have this conversation over the internet without talking directly. Is it possible for you to look at the Maytag installation instructions?

It is not clear to me whether the Maytag requires clearance in front of the unit. I don't know why it would. That is why I asked whether we could install them together so that they are touching (back of range / front of downdraft vent) - with motor / blower of vent on opposite side. That is the key thing I need to figure out. If I have to install the vent four or more inches back from the range, then it will be pointless to have a vent (it would be too far back to suck up smoke, etc).

Thanks

You would install the vent with the motor housing on the the front farthest from back of stove..You will not have the clearance to install the motor between the stove and the downdraft..This is why i suggested checking the clearance of the cabinet/ Island as far as room behind the stove.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

totally get that. I know the motor needs to be on the back. if it's on the back, can the two items be touching or does the maytag need space / clearance in front of it?

Yes like i stated in my previous post..Both are encased in metal..The stove has insulation around it..Not a problem...Thanks Bob