Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

What was the original cost and the current value of a GE refrigerator,

Customer Question

What was the original cost and the current value of a GE refrigerator, model PSH23PGTA WV, serial number LL 430682? The refrigerator is in working condition.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Please give me just a few minutes to get you the info you require.

Jon :

You need original and current purchase price of the above model? is that correct?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Current value of the refrigerator as well as its original MSRP retail cost.

Jon :

gotcha. be right back with that info.

Customer:

Also, can you tell me when the refrigerator was manufactured? From what date to what date?

Jon :

sure can. this machine has a date of manufacture of june 2006. It first came up as june of 1994 but this model is the more current version, so the correct date is june of 2006.

Jon :

let me get the original msrp and current pricing. be right back.

Customer:

Do you know when it ceased being manufactured by GE?

Jon :

original msrp was about $2300. But this price is not including any dealer incentives or sales.

Jon :

that is the set price from GE back in 2006.

Jon :

this model was discontinued back in 2011.

Customer:

Jon :

why, if you dont mind me asking, do you need this info?

Jon :

2011

Customer:

Trying to determine replacement value for a warranty claim.

Jon :

production stopped in 2011

Customer:

How does one determine current value?

Jon :

do you work for a warranty company? wouldn't they know this info already if they are authorized to work on GE?

Customer:

No, private consumer. I own the refrigerator.

Jon :

you take a prorated value of what the original cost of machine was then deduct the years old it is and use a depreciated appliance scale to determine the current value at current day.

Jon :

oh. ok. gotcha.

Jon :

for a machine like this, the value you should get if they are deeming it unrepairable and are giving you money should be in a range of $550-$1100

Jon :

I know this seems like it is not so much, but that is what most companies will give.

Customer:

So, $550 if it wasn't working and $1100 if it is working and in mint condition. Correct?

Jon :

This should be stated in the small print of your extended appliance service contract. they should explain somewhere the replacement value should it be determined unrepairable.

Jon :

yes, that is correct. usually the higher number is XXXXX given out. but you never know.

Jon :

maybe they are being nice to you and give you full amount. You could always call them and express your concern and demand the fullest value. especially if you hadnt had any claims and have been paying for a number of years. A machine liek this would probably cost about $100-$130 for extended service. Am I close?

Customer:

OK, I'm just trying to get additional information before they come back with a price.

Jon :

do you use NEW, GE services, or Assurant sollutions for you extended service company?

Customer:

Also, they have tried to repair the refrigerator now over two weeks. I have asked for a new one. They may come back with a figure. I want to know if it's in your range.

Jon :

that is a very good and smart thing to do. Make sure they give you the right info as well. It is always best for you to be prepared and have some knowledge on the subject.

Customer:

I'm not saying they are going to try and take advantage of me....but I want to be educated.

Jon :

what warranty company do you have? if you dont mind me asking? and what is the current problem with it?

Jon :

yes, I agree. dont think they will take advantage of you. and yes, i agree it is smart of you to know some of this info. that is well thought out of you to do so

Jon :

what warranty service do you have and what is the problem with the ref?

Jon :

maybe i can get it back up and running quickly for you? and that is only if you want me to?

Customer:

The warranty company is Cross Country Home Services. They use Sears for GE repairs.

Jon :

ah. yes. know cross country very well. and also know A&E factory service well too.

Customer:

The refrigerator does not hold freezer or refrigerator temperature. They said I need a new compressor. Just received it today....after being two weeks without a refrigerator! This is unacceptable.

Jon :

I never say anything bad about any company, but just so you know, sears service is going out of business soon so we all know what kind of job they do repairing things. Or trying to repair appliances.

Customer:

You mean Sears is no longer going to repair what they sell (I did not buy the GE refrigerator from Sears)?

Jon :

Did the service tech come and do any checks on the compressor or sealed system? do you know if he hooked it up to any gauges to test the feon and sealed system?or did they just come in and check very quickly and say you need a compressor?

Jon :

for now, sears will continue to service what they sell but may not be with their own factory service techs.

Jon :

here in NY, sears has almost all gone out of business. and A&E, the sears only service has been diminishing quite rapidly.

Customer:

They first replaced the mother board, then they came out again and replaced the same mother board....said it was defective. Now, they say it needs a new compressor. I had to wait 3 days for it to arrive. Meanwhile their techs don't return the next day. Have to wait up to 3-4 days for a repeat visit.

Jon :

SO on your machine, the ref and freezer were both not staying cold?

Jon :

or did one or the other go first?

Customer:

Yes....freezer was about 50 degrees; refrigerator was 60 degrees. Had to move all food out. Some became spoiled.

Jon :

They should have been able to test the main board in back to see if it was the problem or not. And the compressor as well.

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

did you have a lot of frost building up on the rear wall inside the freezer section?

Customer:

I first noticed that the ice was melting in the ice bin....clumping together.

Customer:

No, no build up.

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

were the evaporator fans and evrything else running as it usually did?

Jon :

or did it seem quieter lately?

Jon :

and the center divide, was it hot to the touch?

Jon :

sorry for all the questions, just want to know if the compressor will actually fix the problem if they dont replace the machine. I would hate to see you go another 3-4 days without a working ref.

Jon :

I wish I was there for you now to take a look and possibly fix it for you. This way you wouldn't have wasted soo much food and been without a ref for several days now.

Customer:

I just thought that refrigerator repairs should be done by service firms on an expedited fashion, not making the customer wait 3-4 days between service visits! It's Thursday and I was told the tech won't be back out until next Wednesday!

Jon :

yes. I agree. and it should be done in a quick fashion. especially when you are dealing with a ref in the middle of summer time. But you have to understand that on a discontinued model ref, parts are hard to get, so if they were waiting for parts that is why they would not come back right away. but if you have the compressor and they still cant come back until next week, that is completely unexceptable.

Customer:

Hello....are you there?

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Stephen,

I am still here for you. Sometimes when corresponding through the live chat feature some of the responses can be slowed down and not come through right away. I apologize on behalf of the website for that.

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Should you need any other info or have any other questions regarding this machine please feel free to get back in touch with me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please keep me filled in with the status as well.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.