Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I am working on a GE washing machine which is one year old

I am working on a GE washing machine which is one year old but has a fault code of "motor stalled. I isolated motor and it moves freely and when putting it on still have code so noting binding it. The puzzle is is it the motor the board or something else. the model number is XXXXX Have you worked on these yet and had a simeler problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can try to help you today.

Customer:

Good I hope you can

Jon :

let me look up your model now. Is this a hydro water washer model?

Customer:

dont know what you mean by hydro water washer model

Jon :

sorry hydrowave. i have the model info now.

Jon :

Have you tried the reset yet?

Customer:

Yes. a number of times

Jon :

ok. so you get the code as soon as the motor tries to wash or spin?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

have you tilted the washer back and unplugged and cleaned the connectors to the motor?

Jon :

do you have the tech sheet in the washer? it will show you how to check ohms to the motor and board on terminals on the board? This is not a difinitive test but will give you a good idea if the motor is bad or not.

Jon :

usually when this error comes up it is a miscommunication between the motor and the board. and more specifically the tach on the motor. It cant tell the computer how fast it is spinning.

Customer:

no I have not what I have done is remove the belt to see if trany was causing it to bind yes I have a tech sheet but the machine is only one year old in being aGE representative is this normal

Jon :

In my experience with working on these newer models if the board is cleared and reset and then started again but has the error come up right away again, it is usually the board. especially if the motor spins freely.

Jon :

yes. this is very normal. there actually was a product update to this control board for this very problem. like I said above, the board is usually the problem.

Jon :

If this machine is under a year, get parts through GE service under warranty. If out of warranty try calling them and see if you can get them to send you the parts. If they agree, they usually do being close to a year or even over by a month or so, get them to send both the motor and board.

Customer:

So I have the tech sheet infront of me so if you tell me what points to measure then I will analyse the schametic

Jon :

if they are going to do nothing for you, which sometimes they do this as well, and not willing to work with you at all in sending you parts for free just order the board first.

Jon :

go to the motor test. and follow the part where it tells you to check the pins on the board.

Jon :

it should clearly tell you which ones to measure. if not, let me try to find the tech sheet for this model. or just tell me what it says and i will decipher it for you.

Customer:

thank I will try it out and get back to will be rating you excellent and a bonus of $10. and will get back to you if st

Jon :

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated. Please get back to me here if you need any other help or have any other questions. You can order parts through www.applainceassociatesli.partsquik.com. this website uses Marcone parts distirbutor, the largest Canadian appliance parts distributor.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Frank,

Thank you again for the positive rating.

Please get back to me here if need anything else and I will help you more for no additional charge. I am authorized and certified almost every major appliance manufacturer out there. Both high end and low end and everything in between. I can get you tech and data sheets as well as service manual for most major models out there. So if you ever have any other questions or need my help again please use this link to come back directly to me and I will be glad to help out. And if you use the link there is no waiting to receive an answer. The questions comes directly to me and not placed into the main question page where it can go unnoticed or unanswered for any length of time.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/

You can even bookmark the link above to your favorites so you can quickly come to me and like I said above, I will help you to the best of my ability and as quick as possible.

Thanks again and please let me know how you do with this machine.
Jon, Appliance Technician